Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Loud tranny noise after shifting into D

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Loud tranny noise after shifting into D

I was wondering if anyone else hears a loud metallic pinging sound when you shift into a different gear? I hear it when i shift from park into R or D or from park into any other gear. I haven't noticed any shifting issues or lag in shifts after I hear it, but experience has taught me sounds like that mean a problem is on its way. I still have about 50k left on the powertrain warranty.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM

I have had a noise similar to that when I leave my driveway in the morning. My noise sound like a char ching type metallic noise but at the same time it is almost sounds like it is coming from the passenger hub, sort of like something is engaging then locking into place. This noise happens in drive or reverse and while I still have my foot on the brake. I have no drive-ability issues with the tranny either. And it is not all the time. Sorta did it from new. Its an 09 LS 2.2
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Sorta did it from new.
me too...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joepoppa1
I was wondering if anyone else hears a loud metallic pinging sound when you shift into a different gear? I hear it when i shift from park into R or D or from park into any other gear. I haven't noticed any shifting issues or lag in shifts after I hear it, but experience has taught me sounds like that mean a problem is on its way. I still have about 50k left on the powertrain warranty.
Could you be hearing this ?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/clicking-sound-when-hit-brakes-park-only-33027/
Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Its not the interlock, it happens when my foot is on the brake and I shift the car. I thought it might be the CV making noise but it doesn't make any other racket at full lock or any other time. I got under it and jiggled the shafts and there is no abnormal play. Its a constant thing too, temp doesn't affect it. I know there is a chain that connects the main shaft to the diff, I wonder if there's some slack in that and its just that making the noise, or if there's some type of pawl that pops outta place when shifting. I dunno.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM

After listening to it a bit more, I notice that its making the same sound off of dead stops and lights... I'm starting to wonder if the CV's are starting to get some play in them. whats the best way to check? Ive gotten under it and tried to wiggle them but there doesn't seem to be any play in them. Ive tried twisting them and nothing. sometimes its a quiet ping and its hardly noticeable, other times its a loud hard metallic ping I can feel in the floor board, almost like blowing a u joint in my old Jeep. You think there could be enough play in the CV's to allow slop under torque? Hmmmm.....
Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM

check ur lower cradel bolts..also check for something hitting, like exhaust( hence..ping)..these eng move around a bit and anything loose will show up when eng load is changed...