Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

menu button on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanks for all the help,I will try the info button when the horn is working and recheck those connections and the ground, may have to run it back to the dealer.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Ok sno white I jumped the ground and everything will work, so now I know I have a ground problem, is this in the clock spring, I checked the dash lights dimmer and it was not effected by this, so info button, horn and cruise button light was affected, can this ground problem be fixed or it requires a new clock spring,or for a quick fix add a jumper ground.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Yes the ground runs through the clock spring.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM

If the tech took the steering wheel off to do the recall, he could have broken the clockspring. Or he could have disturbed the ground on the chassis side of the clockspring.

Good news: easy to DIY. Bad news: expensive part. Look for the chassis side ground and hope.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If the tech took the steering wheel off to do the recall, he could have broken the clockspring. Or he could have disturbed the ground on the chassis side of the clockspring.

Good news: easy to DIY. Bad news: expensive part. Look for the chassis side ground and hope.
Very good point. When working on wiring issues always check when human hands touched last.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Steering wheel shouldn't need to come off for this recall work.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by topgunn
Ok sno white I jumped the ground and everything will work, so now I know I have a ground problem, is this in the clock spring, I checked the dash lights dimmer and it was not effected by this, so info button, horn and cruise button light was affected, can this ground problem be fixed or it requires a new clock spring,or for a quick fix add a jumper ground.
Somehow my email notification from this site is no longer working, sorry for the delay in getting back to this. However, all the other writers input seems fine.

See last sentence in post #7 if you truly believe this had to do with the recent ignition switch work on your vehicle.

You will have to take the plastic shroud away from the steering column in front of the steering wheel to inspect the clock spring connection. It is possible the connector was jarred when the switch work was done. You could also put a temporary ground at the clock spring input to see what works. If you ground that point and things still don't work it would be the clock spring.

A thread of mine that might help you to gain access is:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ts-pics-37992/