Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

More whining noise in front

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Don't need to replace both hub bearings at same time!

I had one FRONT hub bearing problem found by Firestone on my 2007 while under warranty, so I had them stop at diagnosing it. I had one local dealer do a free warranty replacement, only to discover they had replaced one REAR hub bearing! I went to the other local dealer (which I eventually figured out was more competent) and they replaced the FRONT one which was causing the disk brake shimmy. Shimmy improved, and once the brake rotors were turned after that, it totally resolved. That was about 40K miles ago. So, you CAN replace one side and not the other - I have one original and one replacment hub bearing each on the front and the rear!

Doctuh
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Administrator

of course you can, but that's up to the individual. it is still trial and error. I just go with the premise if the one side is gone then the other most likely is about to be an issue, just a precautionary meassure
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Warranty will only fix what's broken. Oddly, the very same Service Advisor will refuse to do only 1 side if YOU are paying for it. I have read about GM warranty service replacing brakes on one corner only, I never heard of anyone ever thinking about doing that for a fee.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Warranty will only fix what's broken. Oddly, the very same Service Advisor will refuse to do only 1 side if YOU are paying for it. I have read about GM warranty service replacing brakes on one corner only, I never heard of anyone ever thinking about doing that for a fee.
Many years ago, when I was wrenching, I was always taught, whatever you do to one side of the front end, Tire, bearing, brakes, you always do to the other side too. If ever asked to we refused and told customers, if that was the way they wanted it done, they would need to find another shop to do it.