Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM

oil filters

Has any one seen any advantages/disadvantages between different brands? I was talking at church with the "car guys" and got on the topic of not using Fram filters on a GM vehicle because of restrictions in flow. I used Wal-mart brand (Fram made) on our 06 with no issues. But now with our 08 am going to try AC/Delco.

Also, I was thinking about this....Running Mobil 1 Synthetic/new filter then at 50% change ONLY the filter and then go onto 100%. Then go with new oil and filter. My thought is why change both at 50% (which is what I've done with our 06 using regular oil) when the filter does the most work and syn oil is made to go further on miles. Anybody have thoughts on that idea.

TIA
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM

ive heard of people changing their filter every 3000 miles so it may not be a bad idea. Ivve gone 14000 miles on one oil change mostly highway. but i think i changed the filter at least 3 times to be on the safe side.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM

I'd like to hear from some tech guys in the forum on this. Any techs want to stick their dipsticks out...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Fram filters are usually on the lower end of the quality scale, and their non-branded filters are equally suspect.

Changing your filter will clean up your synthetic oil. I know Mobil 1 will never tell you to do that, but there is a certain brand that actually recommends the exact activity you described. I won't say which brand it is.

If your synthetic oil appears dirty at any time, you can keep changing the filters until it cleans up. Also, with the expense of synthetic oil, you may want to have a sample sent to an oil analizer to see if it actually needs replacement. Mobil will tell you to change it every 3000 miles, they appreciate your business.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:07 PM

I know that GM recommends you change your filter with every oil change. They recommend changing your oil by using the oil life system. I go old school and still do it every 3k. However if you car is still in warranty and you use a non-ACdelco oil filter "without" a check valve they will not cover any engine knocking issues. But as long as you use a filter with a check valve your good. I prefer ACdelco. But to each their own.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Wal-Mart filters are NOT made by Fram. They are made by Champion Labs. http://www.champlabs.com (not to be confused with the guys that make the spark plugs) Champion Labs also makes filters for STP, MotorCraft, Deutsch, VW, Mopar, and even some K&N among others. They may not be the best filters on the market but they are certainly better than Fram.

Originally Posted by TY&HHR
I used Wal-mart brand (Fram made) on our 06 with no issues.

TIA
Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 PM

I use a Wix filter. Was a rep for them for years and they are very very good.
Call me wasteful but 5k I change both filter and syntho oil. For a few bucks I get peace of mind. Not to mention that the whole process takes 15 minutes.

Some of you have experienced metal caught in the filter. Mine was like that too. I see like this, if there is metal you can see then there's metal you cant circulating back into the engine. I change em at every oil change.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM

i went 6500 miles on my last change
the oil almost looked new coming out of drain pan
i was pleased.. runnin mobil 1 syn w/ ac delco filter from dealer
Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry about the mis-statement about walmart/fram, I took both a fram and a WM brand out of their boxes and compared. They both looked identical and had the same color and type of print leading me to assume my belief. Didn't know about the warranty issue.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by TY&HHR
Thanks for the input guys. Sorry about the mis-statement about walmart/fram, I took both a fram and a WM brand out of their boxes and compared. They both looked identical and had the same color and type of print leading me to assume my belief. Didn't know about the warranty issue.

I don't believe the Fram filter for the HHR is made by Fram. I still wouldn't use anything Fram though

Quick Reply: oil filters