Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
Fram filters are usually on the lower end of the quality scale, and their non-branded filters are equally suspect.

Changing your filter will clean up your synthetic oil. I know Mobil 1 will never tell you to do that, but there is a certain brand that actually recommends the exact activity you described. I won't say which brand it is.

If your synthetic oil appears dirty at any time, you can keep changing the filters until it cleans up. Also, with the expense of synthetic oil, you may want to have a sample sent to an oil analizer to see if it actually needs replacement. Mobil will tell you to change it every 3000 miles, they appreciate your business.

Would it be the brand on the side of your car?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 AM

I change mine about every 3 months regardless. I check the color of it all before i take it in. My views on oil are a bit rogue due to where I have lived, has shown me how it works from one extreme to the other.

Just because an oil is clear after 6 months doe not mean it is still effective. Most refer to oil as a lubricant, not a coolant. After a while, it looses it's effectiveness. Sure it can still lube the engine but keeping it cool at a higher than normal temp because it's old oil. Been their, seen it, done that.

I cannot tellyou how many people I know change oil every 3000 miles simply because someone says so and no clue as to why?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM

not again
Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
not again
Yes, again! Name:  clubbing.gif
Views: 64
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  beatdeadhorse.gif
Views: 58
Size:  4.2 KB

But, to stick out my dipstick, changing your oil without changing the filter is like changing your underwear without wiping yourass.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Cheney
I change mine about every 3 months regardless. I check the color of it all before i take it in. My views on oil are a bit rogue due to where I have lived, has shown me how it works from one extreme to the other.

Just because an oil is clear after 6 months doe not mean it is still effective. Most refer to oil as a lubricant, not a coolant. After a while, it looses it's effectiveness. Sure it can still lube the engine but keeping it cool at a higher than normal temp because it's old oil. Been their, seen it, done that.

I cannot tellyou how many people I know change oil every 3000 miles simply because someone says so and no clue as to why?
Anyone else see this as a little bit of a contradiction......

3 month and/or 3K oil changes are a waste of money. Send out for an oil analysis and you'll how much money you are wasting.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
changing your oil without changing the filter is like changing your underwear without wiping yourass.
good one jeff

i change mine every 5k or so.. its easier for me to mentally keep up with it that away.. 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and so on.... over 6500, 13000, 19500 or sumthing silly..
Old 12-06-2008, 12:13 AM

I had no idea that Fram filters were not regarded as being good. I've been using the Fram filters in my HHR. I'm up for an oil change soon though so I'll pick up an AC Delco on on the weekend.

I'm curious, does anyone use a K&N oil filter and what you guys think of them?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 AM

I've had difficulty finding AC Delco filters. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto don't seem to have AC Delco, but Fram. I hate to go to the dealer for anything because they usually charge 2X what ever any one else charges.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM

I usually chance my oil when DIC says 50%

I usually change my oil when DIC says 50% and I use a new filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil.
I am at 50% right now after a 2500 mile road trip. I am going to look closely at all of the filters and see which one I think is best. One good thing about the oil filter is you can actually see it and how it is constructed. The old ones in the housing you never knew what was inside unless you cut them open and compared them.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I've had difficulty finding AC Delco filters. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto don't seem to have AC Delco, but Fram. I hate to go to the dealer for anything because they usually charge 2X what ever any one else charges.
the dealer charges like 3 or 4 $ for a filter... thats pretty cheap IMO

Quick Reply: oil filters