Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating After Multiple Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 06:39 PM

Exclamation Overheating After Multiple Repairs

We have a 2010 HHR LS. A few months ago it started overheating when idle and driving. We couldn't drive it any more than 10 minutes without it going into cooling mode. The highest we have ever let it get was 230 because we are worried that we would blow the engine. The car started at lower temperatures (70s) when it was cooler out, but during the summer it usually starts at about 90, and takes at least 2 hours to get back to that point after driving. For the last week the car has been at a local mechanic; they replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant hose and timing belt as well as replaced the coolant but still couldn't get the car to stop overheating, even though the mechanic said it was "done" and ready for pick up. We got the car back this evening, and it's still about a sweltering real feel of 105 outside, but by the time the car was driven 8 minutes from the shop to our house the coolant temp reached 203, the car started at 180 when we first got to the shop. I honestly feel like they were just trying to fix a bunch of stuff that they think was the problem but really isn't, and I am also concerned that the car may need a bigger more costly repair than we can afford. We already put in about $1,500 in parts and labor this repair and aren't sure how much more we could do, but we rely on the car for transport to work and school for the kids. I also have a nostalgic attachment to him as he has the same initials as my late grandfather and I would be devastated to have to sell him. The needle on the dash that reads temp seems to be working accurately but we are at our wit's end and worried to drive the car any further (I work about 10 minutes away from where we live) because we don't want to do any more major damage. Is there something else that the mechanic overlooked? Could this be an electrical issue? We can still smell the coolant burning after we turn the car off.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

203F is normal temp range.

HHR’s don’t have a timing belt. They have a timing chain system.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:56 PM

I wonder if that's what they meant. It's not on the bill but they did tell us over the phone when we were checking in on the repair that they were replacing the timing belt because it was still overheating.
what is the highest that it could go without damaging the engine? Is there a certain point while driving that it should reach before it starts to cool itself down? My concern is just that we put so much into the repair and it's still not fixed.
I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I feel like they just gave it back to us because it was in the shop for so long they didn't want to work on it anymore.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:11 PM

If it is overheating the #! first thing to check is the cooling fan. It should run anytime the AC compressor is running or the temp approaches 220F then it will turn off when it gets back to about 180F. Anything over 225F is bad. A bad timing chain would cause a CheckEngineLight. a bad serpentine belt has nothing to do with cooling, only the AC and the alternator.
Sounds like the shop is wearing size 38 clown shoes.
I could not read the entire wall of words, cataract surgery in 2 weeks.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:18 PM

Our HHR has been overheating rapidly when idle or being driven. We took it in to repair and had the coolant hose, water pump, thermostat and timing chain replaced but it seems as though the shop is unsure that it is fixed and just gave it back to us with (i'm concerned) the problem still being there.
Just trying to figure out how I can tell if it's still overheating or if it's actually repaired. Don't want to question them and look like a fool.
Thank you, your responses helped give us a range to gauge if it's working properly.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:32 PM
Administrator

You can do this yourself

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-system-60614/
Old 07-28-2023, 07:53 PM

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2023, 09:20 PM

I agree with firemangeorge, coolant temperature of 203 on a sweltering day is not bad. But yes, like donbrew said, make sure the cooling fan is working properly. I suspect that it is working, because in 105 degree weather, you would see 230 and even 240 pretty quickly without the fan.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:30 AM

Asking if they checked the fan operation would make you look like a fool? Or, an informed owner?
Don't be afraid of the men in clown shoes. Most of them know about the same as you do about a 13 year out of production car. If they laugh at you they are idiots that don't need your money. I guarantee that they field "stupid" questions every day.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by EternallyGrateful452
We have a 2010 HHR LS. A few months ago it started overheating when idle and driving. We couldn't drive it any more than 10 minutes without it going into cooling mode. The highest we have ever let it get was 230 because we are worried that we would blow the engine. The car started at lower temperatures (70s) when it was cooler out, but during the summer it usually starts at about 90, and takes at least 2 hours to get back to that point after driving. For the last week the car has been at a local mechanic; they replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant hose and timing belt as well as replaced the coolant but still couldn't get the car to stop overheating, even though the mechanic said it was "done" and ready for pick up. We got the car back this evening, and it's still about a sweltering real feel of 105 outside, but by the time the car was driven 8 minutes from the shop to our house the coolant temp reached 203, the car started at 180 when we first got to the shop. I honestly feel like they were just trying to fix a bunch of stuff that they think was the problem but really isn't, and I am also concerned that the car may need a bigger more costly repair than we can afford. We already put in about $1,500 in parts and labor this repair and aren't sure how much more we could do, but we rely on the car for transport to work and school for the kids. I also have a nostalgic attachment to him as he has the same initials as my late grandfather and I would be devastated to have to sell him. The needle on the dash that reads temp seems to be working accurately but we are at our wit's end and worried to drive the car any further (I work about 10 minutes away from where we live) because we don't want to do any more major damage. Is there something else that the mechanic overlooked? Could this be an electrical issue? We can still smell the coolant burning after we turn the car off.
Is this the first summer you've had it? Did it ever boil over? Seems you are calling normal running as a problem. You got to 203* after eight minutes under 100 + outside temps. That is very much INSIGNIFICANT. Actually it's getting rid of heat very well.