Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating Problems (Specially at night)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I've merged these threads , please keep it to just one ! To avoid confusion and duplication, thanks!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

It was just a jug of good ole prestone.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 PM

Hello guys, quick update....

The car has overheated again and now the heat stopped blowing hot air again, I purchased a new Duralast term and changed the other one, even though the other one does seem like its working properly, but now I have the overheating problem AND the no heat/cold air blowing.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:03 PM

I should note, since I've added coolant last (which was couple of days ago) I am not seeing any major reduction in the levels of coolant, nor did I need to add more coolant, so I am highly doubting that there is a leak.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:04 PM

Hey old blue, THANK YOu very much, for some reason I didnt get any email notifications that there was replies to this thread, so I created the one one and came to delete this to find out about 5 of the good folks here replied, I actually just went to delete that newer thread and couldnt find it.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM

The fan should come on at about 217F.

"good ole prestone" is WRONG. You didn't notice the label under the hood? DEXCOOL!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:23 PM

Now that you said it, it does say DexCool on that cap......so could that be my problem? Wrong coolant? Whats the solution here? a complete radiator flush? and then add dexcool?

That would make more sense now, since first time I put prestone it didnt overheat and heat went back on, then the problem came back, so it maybe could be that I just added the wrong coolant.

Like I said, I highly doubt there is any leak any where, but when this problem originally happened my coolant was pretty low...

and yes the color of the coolant I have now is the slimy green/light green stuff.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
When you changed the thermostat and coolant, was it an AC Delco stat and Dexcool?
Or aftermarket and green stuff?
Looks like aftermarket and green stuff.

Anthony, you've made 8 posts here in less than 10 minutes, it seems like you're in panic mode. If so, calm down, take this troubleshooting/diagnosis step by step. It often is a process, test this part, replace that part, see what happens.

Cars have become complex machines. These ecotec engines are finicky. They like delco spark plugs, delco thermostats, and DexCool, just to name a few. Your duralast thermostat may not be functioning within the parameters required by the ecotec. And I don't know what effect mixing green Prestone with DexCool is going to have, but it's probably not good.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

As I stated in my other post, coolant doesn't just disappear or evaporate. If you had to add some, it either leaked out or burned it out the tailpipe.

Also as donbrew noted, "good ole prestone" is the wrong coolant. Dexcool is what is GM says should be used in the HHR.
Others on this site have even posted about problems when using the wrong coolant.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:30 PM

haha no man no panic, I havent posted on this site in a while and totally forgot the 'quote' option, so I was answering each comment by each user under a new post on here accidentally. Yeah, I'm sure by now the prestone is well embedded into the tubes, what would you think the next step in the troubleshooting is? a radiator flush to get the after market stuff out?

Quick Reply: Overheating Problems (Specially at night)