Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0134 P0135 and intermittent P0300, no start, newly installed cat/O2

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 12:51 PM

So, no codes, Only problem is no start, You are guessing it is fuel related, Have not inspected the ECM connector?
I suggest the ECM connector because it is the source of reference voltage to the O2 sensors and the MAP sensor and that is what the original codes were for.
If you find no fuel in the line, then you need to visually inspect the entire fuel line and maybe the fuel pump. There should be no obstructions in the fuel line, like sharp bends.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:30 PM

so bought a 2 gal gas can and dumped it in.... third attempt starts up just fine. Car was frickin' out of gas!

smoothest idle i've seen in a while. waited for a while and so far p0134 code came back after a bit as pending. Will drive it around a bit - go fill it up etc. and see what else comes up or clears.

if 0134 is the upline sensor i don't know why - i put in the NTK brand sensor, at one piont i swapped plug for old one still on manifold and that definitely made a horrible difference - swapped back and was fine again so it makes sense the connection is good.

my other concern which i think i voiced a year or so ago is the fuel gauge/pump issue.

Because the gauge has been unreliable for a loooooong time - sometimes it's correct and often not - obviously lately it was way off - tank was empty but gauge reading over 1/2 full.

I am still probably going to invest in a locking gas cap but also think it might be prudent to do some preventative maintenance and install a new fuel pump - any brands to avoid or suggest?

also i recall one of the mods mentioning what is causing the other issue that the car has had since i bought it - and that is when you are filling the tank up, it shuts off every 1/3-1/2 gallon or so because something about the charcoal canister was flooded and ruined by previous owner constantly trying to top the tank off?

If i am going to go to the trouble of doing the fuel pump and all that's involved with that i'd like to fix this other issue too at the same time.

Meanwhile i will report back after driving it a bit to see about codes
Old 03-25-2023, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Don’t waste money on an aftermarket fuel tank cap, I’ve had a couple fail, one was a locking cap by Stant.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:28 PM

If you replace the fuel pump module I bet $0.02 that all of your troubles recede into the background.
The EVAP Vent valve or a clogged canister can cause problems filling up. If you fill with engine running there are better chances of it cutting off early. It is like trying to fill a can with your hand sealing the mouth; if the air can't get out the gas can't get in.
Don't worry about pending or historic/permanent codes, the only ones that count are current. Historic codes hang around for up to 100 cold starts, some pending codes hang around for several cycles.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:10 PM

rockauto has 4 daily driver choices but the GM brand doesn't come wiht the fuel level sensor???!! that seems to be one of my pump's issues, a bad sensor. They carry Carter, Delphi and US Motor Works - any of those stay away from or known to be decent? I will probably look around on amazon and other sites too esp if someone has a recommendation.
is the EVAP Vent Valve also known as the fuel tank pressure sensor?
also i am having trouble finding the canister part - what is that aka?
thanks!
Old 03-25-2023, 06:02 PM

Rock Auto lists the pump WITH the fuel level sensor for 2010. I choose 2010 randomly as a FlexFuel year. FlexFuels have different pumps that are more corrosion resistant to tolerate E85. I'm 51% sure the FlexFuel pumps are backwards compatible. Don't take my word for it, but it might be worth looking into.

For my money, any of the daily driver FlexFuel pumps is a good bet. They won't be good for E85 in just any car, though, because of the frequency of polling formthe fuel level is reduced in FlexFuel cars to reduce galvanic corrosion.

All hearsay though, so don't take it TOO seriously.

Amazon says this fits 2006 HHR:

Amazon.com: ACDelco GM Original Equipment SK1176 Fuel Level Sensor Kit with Seal : Automotive

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-25-2023, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RetroHHR2020
rockauto has 4 daily driver choices but the GM brand doesn't come wiht the fuel level sensor???!! that seems to be one of my pump's issues, a bad sensor. They carry Carter, Delphi and US Motor Works - any of those stay away from or known to be decent? I will probably look around on amazon and other sites too esp if someone has a recommendation.
is the EVAP Vent Valve also known as the fuel tank pressure sensor?
also i am having trouble finding the canister part - what is that aka?
thanks!
A. Delphi is the original equipment manufacturer before the bankruptcy.
B. As Oldblue said they are all probably made in the same Chinese factory.
C. no, the fuel tank pressure sensor is mounted on the top of the tank (it is really a vacuum sensor).
D. the Charcoal Canister is the large black box mounted behind the gas tank, the EVAP Vent valve is attached to it.
RockAuto has it listed as "vapor canister".
Old 03-25-2023, 06:29 PM

I found the thread I was looking for back in #13.

Member searched for a better injector for 2006/2007, was met with much skepticism, eventually had some success.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...e-63925/page3/
Old 03-25-2023, 08:49 PM

As I recall, the skepticism derives from the problem would have shown up in the first couple of months not after 15 years.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:03 AM
Administrator

A GM with and a GM with out the fuel sensor

Quick Reply: P0134 P0135 and intermittent P0300, no start, newly installed cat/O2