Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Paint Issues Spring Edition Only !

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Cool flaws

come on its red yes , its built buy robots and spanish workers nothing agaisnt them , but come on its only a car , not built buy god, repaint the door and love it do u think there going to give u all your $$ back NOT , i,m not trying to be a jurk but i think its funny u picth a fit and cant live with it live life full , love the car they are building with there flaws, love 2hhrs buy a summit white , white is white
Old 06-25-2006, 12:51 AM

I have a Dark Silver Metallic. (It's really "Charcoal," but GM won't call it that.) Anyway, there are several; places where the paint is "foggy" (a term meaning they didn't get good enough coverage with the two-stage paint), and you can see it plainly on the hood and front fenders. Even though I keep a show quality shine on my car:

...every time I look at the fenders I'm reminded that it's not perfect. Now that the car is 8-months old and has 4 door dings in it (even though I usually park in the next county!), I'm seriously considering a full custom repaint (yes; I'm certifieably crazy!).

I know it's your "baby" - but I would take the door repaint and move on.
they're great - but they're only cars...(blasphemy, I know...)

Enjoy it while you have it!
Just my
Old 06-25-2006, 12:59 AM

just got my spring a few days ago.... no apparent paint problem, either that or I'm going blind.:>:>
Old 06-25-2006, 06:59 AM

I echo some others here...if you like the SE, get the door painted. Its such a comparatively small issue to give up a vehicle and cost yourself extra $$. I am sure a human will get the match right!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by wehave2hhrs
come on its red yes , its built buy robots and spanish workers nothing agaisnt them , but come on its only a car , not built buy god, repaint the door and love it do u think there going to give u all your $$ back NOT , i,m not trying to be a jurk but i think its funny u picth a fit and cant live with it live life full , love the car they are building with there flaws, love 2hhrs buy a summit white , white is white
One man's ceiling is another man's floor
Old 06-25-2006, 08:48 AM

It's not just the Victory Red, it's all the colors in the HHR spectrum. Not only that, it ranges through most of the GM models. Same with other manufacturers. It's part of a refined mass production process. The body gets painted, then the other panels are painted either on another line, another day, whatever. We used to have a GM plant next to me in Framingham, Mass (They built the Pontiac 6000/Chevy Celebrity line). As school students we used to tour the plant and you would see how things were done, with many people on the line making sure that things were right. They changed the process with a new paint facility in the 80's. Faster "better" paint. Actually it was less people. Then, in following modernization (even less people, NAFTA), the plant was closed. So what it boils down to is doing more with less. Less people, less follow-up, lower quality. I think we can blame Bill Clinton for some of it.

Last edited by Firewatcher; 06-25-2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: I took spelling lessons from 06Chevy
Old 06-26-2006, 05:04 AM

You noticed too SoCal, Yea the paint on the hood of my Dark Metallic is blotchy too, as if they didn't get enough paint in spots. Also the front fenders/bumper are darker than the doors on mine too. The paint used on my HHR is waterbased, wonder if this is a problem too. Wifes 03 Impala is base coat/clearcoat.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:29 AM

Water based car paint????? Never heard of it. Non-Metalic maybe but all auto paint I have ever seen is petroleum based.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nfboy
Water based car paint????? Never heard of it. Non-Metalic maybe but all auto paint I have ever seen is petroleum based.
Not on all modern cars. They are starting to switch over to water based paints because they are less toxic. Here is a little article from Hot Rod but if you search the internet I'm sure you can find out more.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1...utoair_paints/
Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ALLR RED
Ok Guy's we have a bottom line on this ugly and time consuming situation. After numerous meetings and discussions with the so called decision makers here's what they offered me. Re-paint the front driver's door. Which I told them early on that it was an unacceptable solution. Or they will do an assisted buy back. Which means I get to pick out another HHR, but I must pay for the mileage I have put on the current one. Plus pay for the tag and title transfer again. And any difference between the cost of the two vehicles. Which may sound good, but here's the clincher. They will not let me have another Spring Edition/Victory Red one. That tells me two things. One GM is definitely aware that the problem is wide spread and two there is not a good one out there to be had. After personally looking at a bunch of them myself I would have to concur. So GM has managed to back me in the corner with two decisions, neither of which is acceptable. Any thoughts ?
I wouldn't like a repaint job either but you're lucky GM even offered you the assisted buy back for a off color door, I like red but if it was going to be a problem then I would go with another color. Just my worth.

Quick Reply: Paint Issues Spring Edition Only !