Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Popping noise front end braking and turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 PM

I replaced everything but the control box inside the cabin in my front end last summer. Over about three months I put on the various things including a different rack and pinion.

Instead of replacing the control arms I bought new rubber bushings for them and pressed them in.

I got most of the parts from Autozone and did the work myself {well actually my younger brother did most of the real work but I helped}. I ended up buying the tool to do inner tie rod ends. I started with the sway bar links then went with new bushing for the sway bar. I got the ones you can grease. Doing this pretty well stopped the noises but soon enough it was back so I bought new brake disks and pads. The disks were so stuck on I had to beat them off every millimeter of the way but eventually I won that battle.

Meanwhile I read here that sometimes front end judder was caused by your back brakes not working properly so I took a look at those as well. I had already replaced a W shaped spring in the passengers side shortly after I got the car because it was broken. I found that the adjusters were a solid lump of rust so I replaced all the hardware in both sides. The shoes were in decent shape so I just reused them.

The new hardware was coated with the good silver bearing anti-seize glop and still seem to be working fine.

Next was outer tie rods and since I was doing those I did the inner ones. Next was new struts and ball joints. Then the replacement rack and pinion.

Each time I did a job I'd take it in for an alignment so I was glad I got the lifetime deal at Firestone when I got the new tires the year before.

Sometimes I still get some rattling noise and wobble when I put the brakes on and I'm convinced that I need to replace the steering box inside the cabin now.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by allen600rr
What would you like me to put in the search tab for my problem an any assistance with it. I have done the search put in front end noise an many others. An still not an exact match to my problem. I figured I would post a question to one of the solutions in this thread to maybe get something that I could go on.

So sorry to cause such a problem in your day that you had to be condescending to me about asking such a simple question.

Have you every used this search feature you speak of?

Further you seem to have the answer to my question so tell us what your answer is.

I didnt come on this site to get "put in my place" I came here because I share the same interest as anyone else on here.

I see your admin so if you want you can ban me. I say so be it. If its brightens your day to call someone out like this then I dont care to be a member.

Signed
Just wanted to ask a question because I couldnt find the answer in the search feature.

CONDESCENDING!!!!!!! SEE part # B. (start your own thread). You asked a totally unrelated question to the (4 year dead) thread. I was trying to be helpful. Why do you think you would be banned? Who called you out? Where did you get the idea that I thought you were being a problem?

Maybe you could read the second sentence also where my answer is published.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...g-pop-s-50648/

Read it, it should help.

And then get the chip off your shoulder. Not admin, but moderator that is a big difference.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-28-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

X2.

Having done the searches, and seen the list of possible causes, I would be inclined to get to work and start inspecting the parts that might be related to the problem. Sometimes a clearcut definitive answer is just not available. The front suspension/brakes are not rocket science, especially with all the info available here.

Its been one of those days eh Donbrew?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:49 AM

The tone of a couple of these sounds kind of familiar. I am wondering about masquerades.