Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering, check engine, traction control, no speedo, remote start not working,o

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM

On my 2006 the problem turned out to be a connection on the lower passenger side near the fuse panel. There is a group of wires there and they were pulling loose, especially when cold outside and things were a little rigid. When the problem finally worsened to the point that it happened in the middle of driving instead of just at startup I removed the lower waterfall panel and tugged at the group of wires, the engine sound immediately changed and everything went back to normal. I used my OBD tool to record any codes and reset it. The problem has not recurred since that incident in March/April. Obviously I didn't find the exact source wire and it may come back this winter but my fingers are crossed.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM

I will look there. My mom had a 2006 HHR that had the same problem and left them stranded, but the dealer performing the warranty work on it replaced components. When mine did this in February the dealer only cleaned connections under warranty rather than replacing the components. It's frustrating that it is back.

I took the connections loose in the battery compartment and cleaned them all and then put them back, and it fixed it last night, but after 2 minutes of running the problem was back this morning. This time it was the traction control light, flat lines on all but the coolant temp, oil life, and the mileage on the vehicle, and hard shifting. I also heard a clicking when I hit the brakes, something that sounded like a relay clicking in and out, and the auto door lock function did not work. Also the info center said POWER STEERING and the speedometer did not work. Occasionally the speedometer would come on and POWER STEERING would go out, then it was back to the way it was. There was no check engine light on. I was able to retreive no codes.

This is frustrating that it was not actually fixed when it was under warranty. Now I need to figure out what to do myself.

*edit: I was able to get code U0101 and P0700 out of it. Then about 10 minutes later everything came back and worked normally other than the CEL is still on.

Last edited by ImNewHere; 11-29-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: more info added.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM

I found the TSB on it, removed and reseated the connector it addressed, and no more problems for the past 3 weeks.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Hi , have same prob. cant find the TSB you found , a little help , Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by panel express
Hi , have same prob. cant find the TSB you found , a little help , Thanks
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=104
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Hi , I dont have on-star, Thanks for the Help .
Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Did you try unhooking the battery? I would do that, then see if any of the plugs into the control module are loose, and maybe reseat them. Then maybe leave the battery unhooked for a half hour. I would also pump the brakes multiple times so you discharge any residual voltage. Try that and see if it works. I know on older stuff I've had it work.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Hi , I had the Batt. cable off for a 1/2 hour but didnt think of pumping the brakes I'll give it a try ,and just so I'm straight on this one where would you say the Control Module is ,,LOL. Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Right behind the panel on the passenger side of the console/waterfall area. It's about where the passenger's left foot would hit. The panel pops off pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Power steering, check engine, traction control, no speedo, remote start not working,o