Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering on DIC , chugging all f a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Going out this morning to see what I've got, although I can't trust it even if it seems ok for work just yet. I did pull and reseat the #19 Fuse inside the cab on Sunday. I'll see if the code reader links as well, stay tuned.

Mike R
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM

Ok so this morning I went out and turned the ign on and plugged in the code reader and it linked up right away. I made a video but it was terrible .
So the codes that came up are
U0073 I believe that said Buss communication Module
P0443 Which is the EVAp purge circuit that has been intermittent for a couple months now.
P0700 Transmission control system malfunction

Another P0443
last P0700 Transmission control.

I'm likely to agree there is a poor connection to something. I don't really believe any of these codes are actually the problem. I went ahead and cleared the codes and fired it up, and all is well at the moment.
Do I recall someone having a problem with a ground under the drivers seat? I know I read that some time ago but can't recall if it was on a HHR.

Work trumps further diagnostics today. Back at it as soon as I can.
Again thanks for any assistance.
Mike R
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Food for thought here, I happen to come across a
that showed a guy that pulled his fuse tray, cleaned all the contacts and re installed it. Says his problems of ghostly stuff cleared up.

Looks like about an hour procedure that I have no problem doing.
Thoughts?

MIke R

EDIT looks as though his gremlins came back. and further research says poor body control module connections and or bad module. Uggg.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Use a proper electrical connection cleaner and dielectric grease on those connections
Old 11-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

It's well worth a try with the above procedure. And check the connections on the BCM as you noted.

Stuff like this will drive one crazy eh? Hang in there.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Use a proper electrical connection cleaner and dielectric grease on those connections
I like to use DeOxit. It is a amazing electrical contact cleaner and lube.
they have multiple products but the D5 is a pretty good all around product to have in the shop. Made by CAIG lab's

CAIG Laboratories - Home of DeoxIT® and Hand-E-Glove®

CAIG Laboratories - Home of DeoxIT® & Hand-E-Glove®

and of course the amazon :)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Neat thanks!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Naturally for the last two days the car has been fine. Drove it a a couple miles to shop and back home, NPF. That typical P0443 that I have had on and off appeared. I haven't taking the time to check under the car on the connections to the purge control yet.

Now today I pulled the inner panel off to expose the BCM and realized that I forgot to tell everyone there is a AVITAL 2100 Alarm on this car. WTF, personaly I had no issue with the stock one on my last HHR. WHY? Why would an alarm be added? IDK.

Now that I see that though I'm scratching my head as to weather or not there could be and issue with it connected to the BCM, The wiring is not what I would call pro!.
[IMG][/IMG]

so I'm going to have to work gingerly there and inspect everything.
Also a question slightly off regarding these pics...
[IMG][/IMG]

&

[IMG][/IMG]

I hate the fact these are so dirty, and plan on disconnecting them and cleaning them up and then reinstall. Any precautions I should be aware of on these. I'm thinking battery is disconnected for at least an hour to discharge, pull the connectors, clean the parts and connectors reinstall.

Thanks again folks.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Good plan! On the battery disconnect and cleaning, check the wiring back at the purge vent box I've read there can be loose or broken wires back there under the car! Also check the purge unit under the hood
Old 11-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Good day everyone, Well I pulled the UHEC out yesterday.
But I did not separate the upper section, I just pulled the upper/mid section from the lower harness connections. While I had it out I inspected all of the male pins going into the lower connectors for corrosion and or a bent pin. There was no visible corrosion and all the pins were straight.

I then removed every fuse, relay and diode one by one and re-seated them.
When reinstalling this upper assembly to the lower harness connections I suggest you tighten the bolts little by little front to back alternating around so as to bring the two pieces together as evenly as possible. Just about the time they tighten you will here the connectors CLICK and then the bolts will have reached seat.

Now I'm leaving that Avital alarm lay out on the floorboard today instead of tucking every thing back inside while I drive it a bit. If all seems well then I'll go ahead and tuck that back in. I didn't find any obvious evidence of wires broken, loose or otherwise looking like a problem.

Not thinking ahead I should have re-seated everything on the BCM but I have already reconnected the battery. If this continues I will.

I've button up the under hood stuff, reconnected the battery and as of start up no problems found. Keeping the fingers crossed and I'm going to go ahead and use it for my days work.

Results later today.

Mike R

Quick Reply: Power steering on DIC , chugging all f a sudden