Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power window switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Power window switch

My drivers side power window switch for the front passenger side is sticking. I have to press really hard to get the window down. The passenger side window switch works fine. Can the door switches (grey area) be popped up to check wiring? Has anybody tried? I know it's not the fuse. I'm thinking dirt in between the button and wiring. Many thanks. 09 SS by the way.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Deceased

Pop the rubber insert out of the armrest handhold, take out the two screws, and then the master switch/bezel assembly lifts out.

The switches are sealed for the most part, but there may be some dirt preventing the switch from working, so you can give it a shot of compressed air.

First, unplug and reseat the connector, that might clear things up all by itself.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Figured that would work, thanks my friend.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 PM

I’ve had my driver’s door window switch totally apart. I can’t say exactly how – it was long enough ago to forget, but it was not a problem taking it apart up to the point of individual PCB boards. Or getting it back together.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Took the two screws out and the assembly is still stuck. I'm wondering if there are clips holding it down?
Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
Took the two screws out and the assembly is still stuck. I'm wondering if there are clips holding it down?
Yes, you have to pry a bit.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yes, you have to pry a bit.
X2, plus:

With my 2009, I had to do a great bit more than prying. To the rear of the two screws there "was" a large 3/4" flexible tab that prevented an easy removal.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Electronic stores sell a spray cleaner for electrical/electronic contacts. It is self dissipating.
I've used it on stereo systems....volume controls and such....and it works really well for "sticking" switches and knobs. You might want to consider.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Electronic stores sell a spray cleaner for electrical/electronic contacts. It is self dissipating.
I've used it on stereo systems....volume controls and such....and it works really well for "sticking" switches and knobs. You might want to consider.
Oh, please don't do that! These switches are "buttons" with the carbon pad contacts against "fingered" PCB traces.

It is better to take the switch apart and wipe clean the contacts with a clean cloth. The OP has the same problems we all have with the FOBs – having to press the buttons too hard when the contacts get old. Repairs can be handled much like the FOB buttons if needed.

See pictures of the "gold" contacts below in the first picture. Orientation of the first picture is with the right side towards the front of the vehicle. The second picture is the component side – it is a very busy board. This is only one of the two PCBs inside the door mounted window control switch.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
X2, plus:

With my 2009, I had to do a great bit more than prying. To the rear of the two screws there "was" a large 3/4" flexible tab that prevented an easy removal.
I gather you broke the rear tab? I guess that's what I'll have to do. What kind of tool did you use? Why do they make it so difficult? The two screws would have kept the assembly in place.

Quick Reply: Power window switch