Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Questions about Quickstruts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Question Questions about Quickstruts

Approx a month ago I purchased Quickstruts threw Rock Auto, I wish I had researched this a little more beforehand. Needless to say I was not aware of several things about the quality of struts especially Quickstruts. Let me explain my experience than my Question is how likely is it i recieved a bad part or is this normal? After installing these Struts this car feels terrible and makes these noises that i have gone crazy trying to track and after replacing everything except cv axles i realized the struts was the source of the noise. luckily i needed to do all of this work anyhow but i expected after replacing every front suspension component this baby would feel like i was driving on clouds. Yea, that didnt happen even a little. when i turn the wheel i can hear it most i believe it is binding somehow, everything i have found online the closest description i can find is binding, theres clunks and popping but the binding noise when i turn the wheel is at certain points and drives me insane. i purchased the cheapest struts because thats all i could afford at the time and i expected them to not be special but i feel like these noises indicates a problem? anyone else have similiar experience with Quickstruts? I want to ask about motor mounts also but dont know if thats ok or do i make a seperate post?

2011 HHR LT
replaced engine, trans,throttle body, vvt seloniods, and just about every wear and tear part.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Administrator

The popping noise seems to be from the coil spring binding at the strut mount bearing.

I see in the RockAuto site there are left and right assemblies, did you order for left and right?
is it possible you installed them on the wrong side?
thus would not be a huge deal to verify and correct.
the flat spots on the strut mount plates are the in the correct direction?

here are some photos of strut installation

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...g-noise-63247/
Old 11-07-2020, 04:25 PM

What brand? Monroe fixed their spring problem years ago. Problem was Cobalt springs don't work on HHR, but HHR springs work on Cobalt.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:46 AM

Most strut assemblies will have spring to shock tower contact if they are on the wrong side, or wrong orientation. Went through that once...