Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ran low on oil..PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

You checking the oil level at regular intervals will keep your mind at peace.
While the hood is open, look around for leaks & etc..

In this way you become more familiar under the hood, & can catch things quick, should something like this happen again.

Sounds like you got very lucky..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM

I can't believe men these days! Most guys can't seem to be able to plug a lamp into a wall outlet. God help them if they ever have to change a flat tire. What are dads teaching their sons these days? Real men change their own oil and own at least basic tools.

There, I feel better now.

Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jaymz
I can't believe men these days! Most guys can't seem to be able to plug a lamp into a wall outlet. God help them if they ever have to change a flat tire. What are dads teaching their sons these days? Real men change their own oil and own at least basic tools.

There, I feel better now.

Jim
Investing in a simple set of tools might be a good start for a few of the people here.

Your comments echo a recent article in one of our local papers, where the owner of a local bicycle shop is starting to rent out shop space to people to work on their bicycles. He will provide space and tools, as well as advice and guidance for you to work on your bicycle. His reasoning is that people no longer know how, nor do they have the tools or space to do bicycle repairs. He also mentioned that the days of kids gathering in their dad's garage to work on their own and friends bicycles is long gone.

It seems today is more of a routine where you buy it, you use it, you break it, you throw it away.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Investing in a simple set of tools might be a good start for a few of the people here.

Your comments echo a recent article in one of our local papers, where the owner of a local bicycle shop is starting to rent out shop space to people to work on their bicycles. He will provide space and tools, as well as advice and guidance for you to work on your bicycle. His reasoning is that people no longer know how, nor do they have the tools or space to do bicycle repairs. He also mentioned that the days of kids gathering in their dad's garage to work on their own and friends bicycles is long gone.

It seems today is more of a routine where you buy it, you use it, you break it, you throw it away.
That made the think about something. A few months back, by daughters friend walked to our house instead of riding his bike. When I asked him why, he said it was broke and couldn't be ridden. So I told him to go get it and I'd take a look at it. All it was, was the handle bars were not pointing in the direction of the front tire. When I put the tire between my legs and moved the handle bars, he was like WTF....lol Then I went and got a wrench and made sure the adjusting nut was tight. It was tight, probably moved when it just threw it on the ground or something.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM

This thread has gone way beyond it's initial scope. He didn't do any damage or he'd know it. Like I said, correct the 'problem' top off the oil level and you're done. About the only thing I don't see here is a request from Chevrolet Customer Service for the year, model and VIN of his vehicle.......

Last edited by db/sb; 02-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM

hello all,
usually i DO check and add oil if necessary/look around under the hood etc.
at least on this vehicle, the way it is designed. is a pain in the A** to work on. i have basic tools, sockets etc and don't have the big 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. the air filter is a pain, secured by torx 25 screws. changing the headlight was a nightmare. all my other vehicles, toyota corolla, mazda b2300 pickup and ford taurus were FAR EASIER to work on.
mechanic looked at it this morning and confirmed no damage from running low. so, in short im happy for now. u can bet your sweet A** it will be checked every other day from now on!

Originally Posted by db/sb
This thread has gone way beyond it's initial scope. He didn't do any damage or he'd know it. Like I said, correct the 'problem' top off the oil level and you're done. About the only thing I don't see here is a request from Chevrolet Customer Service for the year, model and VIN of his vehicle.......
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM

My LS2 powered, 6 speed manual trans, 400 HP 2005 Pontiac GTO is easier to work on than the HHR as are the other vehicles listed in my profile.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rainmanva
hello all,

i have basic tools, sockets etc and don't have the big 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. the air filter is a pain, secured by torx 25 screws. changing the headlight was a nightmare. all my other vehicles, toyota corolla, mazda b2300 pickup and ford taurus were FAR EASIER to work on.
the 32mm (shorty socket) is like $6. at the local auto parts store. (see pic)...

Changing the oil & oil filter is super simple in these engines.

Air filter is only a pain first time, put a bit of hi-temp grease on the rubber grommets & next time it pops off easy.. (see pic)..

You can mentally make it worse that it really is.. Just jump in & do what it needs..
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM

thanks for all the replies everyone. i did my own oil changes on my toyota corolla, mazda b2300 pickup and all, just a little intimidating due to the cramped engine compartment. i think the worst thing they did with the hhr was the air filter housing! that's nuts! never seen one be such a PITA to get open/change! i don't know what the engineers were thinking when they did that one! also, the serpentine belt looks like its going to be tons of fun too, considering there is only like 1" of space to work with!

Originally Posted by sleeper
the 32mm (shorty socket) is like $6. at the local auto parts store. (see pic)...

Changing the oil & oil filter is super simple in these engines.

Air filter is only a pain first time, put a bit of hi-temp grease on the rubber grommets & next time it pops off easy.. (see pic)..

You can mentally make it worse that it really is.. Just jump in & do what it needs..
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rainmanva
thanks for all the replies everyone. i did my own oil changes on my toyota corolla, mazda b2300 pickup and all, just a little intimidating due to the cramped engine compartment. i think the worst thing they did with the hhr was the air filter housing! that's nuts! never seen one be such a PITA to get open/change! i don't know what the engineers were thinking when they did that one! also, the serpentine belt looks like its going to be tons of fun too, considering there is only like 1" of space to work with!
Leave the torx screw loose, like the GM techs (that I have experienced) do. Remove the motor mount, then a standard loaner belt tool will work, and actually takes less time.