Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Seeking MANUAL owners asap! 7x code P0172 - GM no help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM

If it's throwing that code AND obviously not running right, it IS covered under the Federal Emissions warranty. I would also try another dealer if that's at all possible.

I work for GM (not in product engineering, though), and this one needs to be fixed, particularly with that history. It occurred early and never got fixed.

We used to have a Chevy Customer Assistance person here that could actually look all that up and mediate with dealers and such. Is Michelle still around???
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
We used to have a Chevy Customer Assistance person here that could actually look all that up and mediate with dealers and such. Is Michelle still around???
All we have now is the one that lurks around and occasionally welcomes new memebers to the site but doesn't seem to offer much in the way of assistance.....
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
All we have now is the one that lurks around and occasionally welcomes new memebers to the site but doesn't seem to offer much in the way of assistance.....
I think GM either eliminated or substantially reduced their participation. I noticed the GM Service Rep.'s lack of participation on several of the sites that I use.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM

I have a manual 2.4 flex, and have had the issue at hand several times. I have had my dealer reset the fuel module each time so that it "reads" the fuel % properly. But my warranty is expiring soon and I'm afraid of what the reset will cost me in the future.
A "hard start" is a dead giveaway of the problem. I have always had hard start issues a few days before the check engine light would come on to indicate a fault.
One time the dealer said it was an air intake problem, because I have a CGS intake on my car, and told me that the engine code was because of the aftermarket air intake. (I contacted CGS about this, and their reply was simply "bull****")
Switching back and forth between running E85 and either E10 or pure gasoline can also cause the issue. It happened more frequently to me when I would have to switch between the two types of fuels. If you can, use either one and stick with it.
Poor quality gasoline has also caused some issues for me, as well as one time the car sat for an extended period of time and I had to deal with moisture in the tank.

I've never saw a relation with the problem and my shifting habits. I always downshift to stop
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM

RKStevens, thank you for your reply. If it is alright , I will PM you later today so that I do not bother the forum with this any longer. Thank you again.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think GM either eliminated or substantially reduced their participation. I noticed the GM Service Rep.'s lack of participation on several of the sites that I use.
Apparently Michelle is assisting Stacy on the Cruize forum:
Stacy was once the GM Service Rep. on the 2004-2006 GTO Forum.

Yesterday, 3/24/2013 on the Chevy Cruize Forum:
Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service
Welcome and congratulations, Southpaw802! Please, don’t hesitate to contact us in the future as we are happy to assist where we can.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Stacy
manualtrans2.4: I wish you keep this thread going. I, for one, would like to see how it turns out.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, db/sb......I think participation may be reduced. GM rep's are non existent on the truck, Vette, and Cadillac forums. Previously they would show up every 2-3 days. Could be the plug was pulled for the HHR......no more sales, yada, yada, yada.

manualtrans2.4.......IMO, you should keep this thread going...it's yours, you are the OP. My comments on the other thread should not interfere with the progression here.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by manualtrans2.4
* Looking for owners of flex fuel capable 5-speed manuals with same or similar problem to mine. GM response has been very poor and unhelpful. *

2010 HHR 2LT 5-speed manual flex fuel
Bought new. To date, code P0172 (rich fuel trim) has thrown 7 (seven) times, the first at 2681 miles not long after purchase. Running rich & misreading alcohol anywhere from 37% to 65% each time. A mileage disaster, I have been paying @ 25% more in gas than necessary. Dealership(s) and GM have been confused from the start and some poor responses in the mix. The most recent GM TAC response is "No Fix" and to advise no slow stopdown shifting and engine breaking. Will provide more info if others are having same code P0172 issue with their flex manuals. If you have not ad the problem, you may encounter it at some point. Prompt replies very much appreciated.
While I do not own an HHR, I am having the same problem with my 2008 Impala. After paying 3 diagnostics and "Fuel Composition Reset" updates (last one cost me $172) I was told that I needed to drive my car for 5 miles after filling up with gas. The tech stated that this was required for the computer to determine the correct fuel composition. I later found a one liner on about page 518 of the owners manual stating that I needed to drive 7 miles after filling up with gas.

Hope this helps