Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

It seems I really do need an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/2006-2007-2-2-engine-swapping-47527/
Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Sharp eye there 07azhhr - good find.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 AM

I have an update:

I ordered a different engine from SWEngines today they do a compression test with leak down on all their engines. There is no core charge and offer free shipping. They offer two deals one for $1220.00 and another with a three year warrantee for $1315.00 so I ordered the one with the warrantee.

I hope it gets here soon so I can start the job. I bought a cheap digital video camera and hope to get this all on video this time so I can post it or at least get some good still shots out of the vid.

Since there is no core charge I plan to rip the old engine down to see if I can spot where the antifreeze and oil are swapping places. I doubt it but maybe I can fix that engine and have it all rebuilt and ready for if I need it.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Well now,... I had been driving the HHR with the injured engine anyway and have been getting by with it while I was waiting for the replacement engine.

Then the front wheel bearing in the kids Neon went bad again. I got the replacement bearing free from Autozone because it is less than a year old but needed to have her car for most of the day while I swapped the parts.

She had to get to work so she took my car. I told her that it would be fine if she just kept it topped off with antifreeze. I showed her where to put the antifreeze but with the wisdom of youth she thought just filling the expansion tank would be good enough.

It wasn't. So,... I guess its only natural that she put a rod through the block so I guess there is no reason to rip the engine down to look for the original leak. Hopefully the replacement engine will get here soon and be installed with no problems.

Sucks to not have a car at all. I may have to put the LHS on the road again.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM

The shop finally got my engine in last week. Last night I saw they had the car inside the building and this morning I stopped by and saw that they had been working on it.

They have it on the 'back' hoist and most of the wires and air cleaner have been removed. The mechanic had just taken the passengers side wheel off when I stopped in.

Now I'm a little excited for when they get the other engine in.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM

The broken engine is out and most of what had to be swapped has been swapped. The mechanic figures to have the 'new' engine back in and maybe even running by tomorrow night.

We are hoping that since he did not have to replace any electronics that it will just crank right up and be fine. I brought him the new down pipe, catalytic converter, and muffler stuff today.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM

The replacement engine is in the car. The mechanic did not want to try to start it until he has the new exhaust in place for fear of throwing a code or two, so hopefully tomorrow when he has that part sewed up it will just crank up and go for us.

Got all the appropriate appendages crossed that all goes well.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Last week Friday the engine was finally in the car but it would not start. The mechanic thought maybe the battery was dead. He couldn't get the back hatch to open so he put jumper cables on the red post under the hood and grounded them to the strut tower and was able to open the back door.

He put the charger on over the weekend but the car still would do nothing in the starting department. Wouldn't crank or anything. So he decided to recheck his work, then with the regular work stacking up around him he decided to ponder my problems while working on other vehicles.

Then he got ill for the last two days so there was no progress. Today he was feeling better so he came in and looked over his work from before some more and discovered he had moved a ground wire to a different location and that was why the starter was not engaging before this.

Now my car starts and runs and all seems well. He still wants to take it outside tomorrow and let it warm up to operating temp and take it for a shake down cruise and recheck everything.

I am quite anxious to get it back.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 PM

And so finally at long last the HHR is on the road again.

The mechanic took it for an extended test ride this morning. He said It was smoking a lot at first but that may be because they put some oil in the cylinders to bring the compression up so it would fire.

Also I bought a whole new exhaust system for the car, sometimes the new pipes and muffler will smoke a while until they burn off the forming oils.

I'm pretty sure they tried to jump the car with the terminals under the hood because the power steering fuse was blown.

My wife and I took it for a 100 mile shake down cruise and it worked flawlessly.

I am a happy camper today.