Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service Air Bag Light when weight in back

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:09 AM

"Any time I load anything " evidently means more like "it happened once or twice"?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Well, sort of. It happened during the winter when I had sand bags in the back but it was intermittent (maybe 3x then it would go off) and I did not have the seats flat. Then nothing until this last week when I had the cargo area loaded. It stayed on the entire time until I unloaded. Hasn't been back on. But there's no issue when I have my 2-100# dogs back there. I'm concluding that if there are sensors in the back seat belts I had it packed with most of the weight on the back of the seat.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM

As far as I can tell from Mitchell, there is no wiring except, perhaps OnStar, that has anything connected to the air bag system behind the front seat belts.

Maybe when it happened you forgot about the grocery bag on the passenger seat? Or, the cell phone on the passenger seat? Or, something pressing on the front passenger kick panel?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 AM

I really don't appreciate you insinuation. But what you're saying is a cell phone in the passenger seat will cause it, but a passenger won't? Hmm that's interesting. As I stated previously it happened with weight in the cargo area. Period.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Alright, then perhaps the next time the airbag light comes on swing by your dealership and ask them why? And if there is any possibility of the airbags deploying? And if they would kindly correct the problem.
It is very hard to diagnose an electrical problem over the Internet and the dealership will have the equipment to test the computer systems.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tljester
I really don't appreciate you insinuation. But what you're saying is a cell phone in the passenger seat will cause it, but a passenger won't? Hmm that's interesting. As I stated previously it happened with weight in the cargo area. Period.
Excuse me, insinuation? If you ask for help on the internet you have to expect QUESTIONS, since you most likely don't know as much as the people you are asking, or you wouldn't be asking.

Yes, a cell phone's RF on the passenger seat can interfere with the air bags, GM has published a TSB on the subject, also purses and grocery bags.

But, you also said "every time" then changed your mind, so I asked a fair question "did you forget anything else" even something that you thought was unrelated such as a cell phone.

Since there is NOTHING in the cargo area related to the air bags, it must be something else. Like, you removed something from the cargo area and sat it in the passenger foot well where it caused the airbag connector (which is under a recall in some cars) to malfunction.