Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:48 PM

Stalling issues

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR with 2.4 LT exactly at 224,000 mi. My car started to stall out of the blue while driving or idling. No engine lights are on. I've replaced map sensor, spark plugs, mass flow, air sensor, brand new intake, manifold seals, brand new exhaust manifold with new intake seals, new flex pipe seals, new oxygen sensors, oil and transmission fluids been changed. The only thing I have not changed was fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. I did a pressure test when it comes to fuel and it passed a flying colors with a car not running. It was between 52 and 55 PSI with the car running. It was 60 PSI which I know it passed the fuel test. Bryan out of options here and what to do. I've also replaced the crankshaft position sensor the camshaft sensors. But but since my vehicle has passed a fuel pressure test I am only keep you thinking it could be due to air. Maybe the throttle body is the next concern. The weird thing is my car stalls then my RPM gauge and my speedometer quits working. When I start the car back up it wants to run fine but the gauge is do not work still. So after resetting the battery and tapping the negative battery terminal on my positive they're hooking it back up. All my gauges wants to work fine so I'm also think it could be a ECU issue
Old 04-04-2023, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Have you checked the timing chain?
are the coils dry? Or oil in there ?
Whats the battery static charge ?
a lot of parts thrown at it, with out a CEL
what brand spark plugs did you install?

I moved this from the 6 year old thread
Old 04-04-2023, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cruzeman2025
I have a 2006 Chevy HHR with 2.4 LT exactly at 224,000 mi. My car started to stall out of the blue while driving or idling. No engine lights are on. I've replaced map sensor, spark plugs, mass flow, air sensor, brand new intake, manifold seals, brand new exhaust manifold with new intake seals, new flex pipe seals, new oxygen sensors, oil and transmission fluids been changed. The only thing I have not changed was fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. I did a pressure test when it comes to fuel and it passed a flying colors with a car not running. It was between 52 and 55 PSI with the car running. It was 60 PSI which I know it passed the fuel test. Bryan out of options here and what to do. I've also replaced the crankshaft position sensor the camshaft sensors. But but since my vehicle has passed a fuel pressure test I am only keep you thinking it could be due to air. Maybe the throttle body is the next concern. The weird thing is my car stalls then my RPM gauge and my speedometer quits working. When I start the car back up it wants to run fine but the gauge is do not work still. So after resetting the battery and tapping the negative battery terminal on my positive they're hooking it back up. All my gauges wants to work fine so I'm also think it could be a ECU issue
You've replaced a lot of parts without knowing for sure if they were bad. Testing should be first. I'd start at the ignition switch.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:57 PM

You could tighten the bolts inside the underhood fuse block. You need to keep tightening past the clicking sounds.

Check my signature for link to check your recall status.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:37 PM

If you are willing to spend all of that money on unneeded parts, why not pay an actual mechanic?
If the ECM was bad there would be a CheckEngineLight. Same for all of those parts.
The usual cause of stalling is a clogged cat.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 PM

Does the check engine light even work? It should come on momentarily when you turn the key to on.