Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by C-rad
Would that have any effect on the front steering?
I don't see a way for it to affect the steering.

When you get an ABS code (along with ABS light on dash) the computer basically shuts off the ABS system and your brakes revert to a non-ABS mode.

Steve
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM

Thanks,

It has 134K on it. Does not happen when I break. When it 1st started happening it only did it when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd, then as a got worse it did it between 3rd and 4th as well. It would also do it when I let off the accelerator. I have replaced both sets of front brakes including roaders, Inner and outter tie rods, steering rack and pinion, both lower control arms with ball joints, both hub assemblies, both sway bar bushings and brackets, both sway bar links, drivers side CV, had an alignment and I've even tried different tires and wheels. No accidents, although I did just miss kissing a moose by inches a few months ago. This is Alaska so, missing pot holes just isn't possible. Most of them aren't that big though.
Thanks Steve, I'll check the mounts again.

When the problem first started it was definitely on start up but, now it's not. I'll just be driving in 5th gear and the car just starts swaying. It's not a constant sway its intermittent but, intense.
Let's get the story straight now. Does it happen only when shifting or decelerating, or when cruising in 5th gear?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 PM

I removed the struts, (I was going to replace them but, I didn't get the direct strut replacement with the coil springs so I couldn't get the Schock out of the spring). So I put them back and I made sure they were tight.

I'll double check them and look at the cradle bolts next and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Let's get the story straight now. Does it happen only when shifting or decelerating, or when cruising in 5th gear?
When I first felt it (months ago), It was when I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd, while accelerating from a stop. Then, it started happening when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and on acceleration/deceleration and from 3rd to 4th. I replaced most of the front end due to this and other problems (wobbling, shimmying, hub humm ect) I was having. All the other issues I had are gone. This issue no longer happens while shifting or accelerating. Now it happens in any gear just driving down the road but, mostly when I go over a hump, big bump or a dip. Anything that makes the front end rise or jolt.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 AM

Now it happens in any gear just driving down the road but, mostly when I go over a hump, big bump or a dip. Anything that makes the front end rise or jolt.
That is usually referred to as "bump steer". Generally, that occurs when there is a geometry change in the suspension, such as changing the vertical height mounting of the steering rack relative to the rest of the suspension.

I wonder if an incorrect part was used when the parts were replaced.

Steve

Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 AM

Or a bearing locking up?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Or a bearing locking up?
Wheel beraring?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=fastsuv;862467]That is usually referred to as "bump steer". Generally, that occurs when there is a geometry change in the suspension, such as changing the vertical height mounting of the steering rack relative to the rest of the suspension.

It started happening before anything was replaced. It just changed when it does it as I replaced parts.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM

C0050 indicates there is a problem with the right rear wheel hub/bearing.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=C-rad;862486]
Originally Posted by fastsuv
That is usually referred to as "bump steer". Generally, that occurs when there is a geometry change in the suspension, such as changing the vertical height mounting of the steering rack relative to the rest of the suspension.

It started happening before anything was replaced. It just changed when it does it as I replaced parts.
I interpreted what you had previously written as:
1) Steering lurched left-right when shifting or accel-decel
2) Parts were replaced, original problems went away.
3) Now the problem was car steered side-to-side while hitting bumps or going over a dip/rise.

Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Steve

Quick Reply: Steering issues