Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Synthetic over Conventional Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM

I was not "bragging" just adding data point. AT least on my 2008 LT it's 15K exactly, even if I idle a lot, I sometimes idle for hours at a time. I drive in some of the most brutal traffic in the nation for a living. All's I know is the change oil message comes on at 15K on my vehicle, maybe some others have a different program, but ON MY VEHICLE only, this is a FACT.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM

HAVE USED RED LINE FOR 20 YEARS .many miles 60,000 a year really i seldom change oi; just add a little more redline
have put 220,000 miles on most of em my last a chryl.pacifica went 213,000 with only 2 oilchanges and never a tune up. yep did put breaks on it a few times but change the oil every 3000, miles not a chance .
Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by hhrbama
Natural oil although refined is made from crude containing dead plants and animals. When heated that oil produces ash which means it is self contaminating. Synthetics are not all created the same. Amsoil has been around the longest and the other companies have followed along as the demand has increased.

I use Amsoil 5w-30 and I have over 70,000 on my HHR 2.4. The engine runs as smooth as it did when I bought the car. I change it strictly by the OLI, but that mileage is typically a short change considering Amsoil users often go 25,000 with a filter change at 12,500.

Some natural oils on the market come from oil companies that own refineries, while other companies buy oil and "package" it to their specifications. If you wish to do some research, you can easily determine which are which. Synthetic oil is chemically engineered from a polymer base in a labratory. Each molecule is identically sized. This is an added benefit when considering a filter.

Do your research and you can make a sound decision. Mobil One is well thought of in the community, and I would say it's a close second to Amsoil.
I was always told that Mobil 1 had large amounts of graphite in it and that over time will build up. I use GTX only because I like their conventional oil better than most. I have to agree though EVERYONE has nothing but good things about Amsoil. I just wish I could find a distributor in my area. any pm's are welcome conserning my post. thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM

im tell ya here i may drive hwy miles 60,000 and in the last 9 0r 10 years i have changed oil maybe once a year the cars were chev. van 1 chev van 2, chevy van3, chry pacifica 5 and now the most fun and best lookin hhr, i ran all these cars (EXCEPT THE HHR) 213,000 miles without a problem . well breaks and a new air filter once a year or so but oil,plugs gen tune up never... oh it's redline oil workes for me. one of the vans went 260,00 with no work at all .......
Old 05-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

I love the way this thread has degenerated into the usual bantering.......discussed in, maybe, 10 other threads......and has nothing to do with the OP question......
Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 3amigos
As a long time driver, I have always had the "every 3 months or 3000 miles" systematically pounded into me.

Then I buy a 2007 HHR with a DIC that has an Oil Life Monitor. It tells me that the above statement is hogwash, that changing oil that often is a waste of precious resources, and that I should change my oil when they say so. So I bite.

Problem is, I am still a little leary. So my last oil change I switch to Valvolive Synthetic 5W-30. Figure the longer change intervals synthetic would be better. Manufacturers recommendation. Now, it taps a little on start up, sometimes I can here a very slight tap at idle. Oil level is fine. Car has 11,000 miles on the clock. Flushed the oil before switching to synthetic from conventional oil.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I have had horrible experience flushing the oil, for instance destroying 2 motors directly after doing so, I dont think it should be done ever, it removes all the yummy stuff your engine has forced into all the important wear spots. just my 2 cents, syn is compatable with all oil no need to do anything but change it. mine tapped a lil on start up before and after syn so i say its normal plus it really does take some time for the oil to get around. good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM

I ruined a Subaru engine with an engine flush. Appaerntly some of the crud it freed up got stuck in one of the lifters. Synthetic is great, but be very carefull with switching a high mileage engine, look for an oil with less detergency. The top of the line stuff will clean off varnish deposits that were keeping old oil seals from leaking.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 PM

You mentioned the tapping sound after the oil flush, Oil flushes are typically hard on motors, I would suspect your motor would not need a flush after that milage even if you never changed the oil. Some tapping is fine but should disapate over time and was probally caused due to the oil flush.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Axleburg
I was always told that Mobil 1 had large amounts of graphite in it and that over time will build up.
Gee, that's one I've never heard before. Anyone else able to confirm this?