Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temperamental Radio and Alarm Chimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 AM

Angry Temperamental Radio and Alarm Chimes

Has anyone else been having the following issue with their HHR's radio and alarm chimes? Every so often, my radio will quite working - at the same time I lose all of the alarm chimes and the turn signal clicker. This has been an on-going issue with my HHR. Last time it was in the shop for this was on 9/09 - both front speakers were replaced. Radio has been replaced twice and BCM has been replaced. I keep getting told it is a computer glitch - any truth to this? Is there any updates available from GM that take care of it? Or does the entire vehicle computer need replaced? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 AM

I also have a radio issue with my 2006 1LT. In cold weather, everything works fine. As soon as the weather gets warmer ( like now), occaisonally when you start the car the radio turns on without the display coming on. It looks like the radio is off, but there is only static playing and the turn signal sound does not come on through the sound system. I have to turn it on and then off to fix it. This happens about once every ten starts in warm weather, doesn't happen in cold weather. Of course, it never did it when I took it to the dealer when it was under warranty. so I guess i'll just live with it.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

we had the same issue with our '06 HHR and it took 8 visits to the dealership and a visit to our house to finally resolve the situation. They installed 3 different stereos and who knows what else before they finally put in an '09 stereo and the problem stopped.

Only one of the many problems we had with what was the bain of our existence for 4 years and the #1 reason I will NEVER be a GM customer again.

The HHR was a good car size-wise but the combination of never ending problems and GM's complete lack of customer service has earned them a big black eye in my book and I make sure to pass my experience on to as many people as I can.

Good luck getting the issue fixed, hope your experience is better than mine was.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies and information . I know how frustrating it is when the issue does not happen at the dealership . I was able to take mine in twice while the issue was occurring. The first time, I told the service writer "NOT" to shut my HHR off until it could be looked at - but of course he did . Then hocus pocus – it was fixed when they started it. The second time, I even told the shop manager “NOT” to shut it off – but of course he did anyways . Again, poof – it’s fixed. Both times they have the balls to tell me that then can't diagnose it without it failing . I am getting pretty pissed off with my local dealers shop over this.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Have you noticed a temperture connection? As like when its cold it takes longer to happen then when its warmer outside? I say this because sometimes circuit boards will have a cold solder that breaks contact when certain temps are reached,,,,hard to locate and trouble shoot...had an ignition module from an HEI do this...when testing it was ok,all green, but when tested repeatedly it would fail about the 3rd time..so after a hard fail I put it against a drink machine glass next to the tester and presto, it worked again( repeated this several times to confirm)...that could be why when shutting down it works again, cool down...justa thought....
Old 04-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Check out this link (courtesy of SoCal HHRs):
http://www.socalhhrs.com/HHRfuses.html