Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Administrator

My genuine GM fob will give a low battery alert.

I think the difference is the battery clip, the top two are aftermarket, bottom two are OEM
Old 12-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Technical Moderator

They all are supposed to give the lo batt; when it is low. The knock offs give it all the time even with fresh battery. Like a defect.

The first warning I recall is boards that have a LED on them. I notice that the 2 in the photo have a hole for a LED, on the lower right side.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 PM

If you make the pic big, the aftermarket fobs have an led at D1+. Every time I press the button it lights up red. What are y’all talking about low battery indicator?
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM

So three weeks later, I can now finally get the 2009 into relearn mode, the LF and RF go smoothly, but the RR will not chirp the horn. I even got very aggressive, pulled the valve stem core so it deflates fast, tried airing it back up to 50psi. Repeated several times and repeated the entire process at least three times. Nothing will make the RR chirp the horn. The RR was working fine before all of this. What gives?

Last edited by guppy; 12-22-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Does the DIC display all 4 now?

Both times I've asked if you were sure it was the sensor in the LF TIRE that was bad you said you were sure, that is my first guess. Second guess is if one battery was dead after ten years perhaps the others are close.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:22 PM

So you think I might have paid the tire guy to change out the wrong tpms. Unfortunately that may not be a bad assumption since my kid has been driving it. So now you got me thinking. I have about 4 used tpms sensors. Do you have any suggestions on how to test them without paying the tire guy to mount it. I am thinking drill a hole in the cap of a sports drink (gatorade) bottle, I say sports drink because they have the big caps. Insert a rubber valve stem and screw the tpms on the under side, inflate the bottle to 35psi. I think these bottles are good til 150 psi.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Technical Moderator

That would be one way. It is one of the cheats that the tin foil hat crowd was using when TPMS became law.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:47 PM

So the wife ran to the store in my 2008 maroon, which is usually parked next to the 2009 white. I had read that when doing the relearn procedure to keep it away from other cars with tpms, ya ya I am thinking right, like that really means anything. Well the white one is sitting in the driveway all by itself, so what would it hurt to try the relearn procedure one more time. Guess what, the freggin car battery is dead!!!! I swear this car is cursed. Got the battery on the charger and the saga continues. Will try again tomorrow .. maybe.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Technical Moderator

It is more than a simple warning, it is a requirement. I have heard of dealerships moving the car off the lot to relearn. It is more than RFID, more like Bluetooth radio with the same range as your fob.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 PM

So the wife asks me what the hell is going on with that white car. So we went out and I explained and demonstrated the failed attempt at relearning the Tpms sensors. The LF goes flawless, then I move to the RF which I thought was fine. I deflate RF, get a couple chirps, then I move to RR. This is when the wife says, “I thought you said it was only supposed to chirp once”. So I tried again with same results, two chirps at RF. I now think the problem is with the RF tpms. Glad I got such a smart and supportive wife or there is no telling how long I would have worked on or how much money I would have dropped on that RR. Damn I look stoopid, lol.

Decided to vacuum and spray down the plastic interior panels with a plastic/vinyl protectant to give it all a nice shine and smell.

Quick Reply: Tpm