Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!
View Poll Results: Used engine or head rebuild?
Used engine
50.00%
Head rebuild
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Used engine vs head rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 AM

Better solution... Salvage Yard parts. 80 bucks gets you out the door, with a 20 dollar core charge on a head if that's what is bad. Heads on this car are cake compared to some other engines. It takes about an hour or two to get the head off, install a new gasket (another hour or two), and you'll be good to go man!

If I was in your situation (which I am), I would try sending air into the spark plug hole, and listening to where it comes out. Oil Fill is piston rings, exhaust is valve, intake is the other valve, coolant is the head gasket. You might not need to replace the engine, just do a little "fixing" to get it down the road. Another trick I know is to do a leak down at the bottom of the compression stroke. It can show a cracked block if your readings are substantially different.

Junk yard head, with new timing chain kit (tensioner, chain, and guides, maybe sprockets if your feeling saucey), and a head gasket, and you should be golden! Use the same head bolts, hell it's only a 80 dollar junk yard head, not a 500 dollar new head, they'll be okay.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM

My money would be with victweezy.

Boydie

Originally Posted by victweezy
Better solution... Salvage Yard parts. 80 bucks gets you out the door, with a 20 dollar core charge on a head if that's what is bad. Heads on this car are cake compared to some other engines. It takes about an hour or two to get the head off, install a new gasket (another hour or two), and you'll be good to go man!

If I was in your situation (which I am), I would try sending air into the spark plug hole, and listening to where it comes out. Oil Fill is piston rings, exhaust is valve, intake is the other valve, coolant is the head gasket. You might not need to replace the engine, just do a little "fixing" to get it down the road. Another trick I know is to do a leak down at the bottom of the compression stroke. It can show a cracked block if your readings are substantially different.

Junk yard head, with new timing chain kit (tensioner, chain, and guides, maybe sprockets if your feeling saucey), and a head gasket, and you should be golden! Use the same head bolts, hell it's only a 80 dollar junk yard head, not a 500 dollar new head, they'll be okay.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Victweezy, written like a true hot rodder!! go down gambl'n hope you never have to go, no no no!!!