Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Ohh... Forgot about the pillars

I guess thin metal = less weight = better fuel economy...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM

I make the mistake of leaning on the hood one time. It caved in and I had a nice fist sized dent.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM

HHR PNOY - Was the dent towards the front where the hood slopes down?

I'm wondering because I have about the same predicament and it is in the location described above. I am wondering how much it will cost to fix it.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM

I have one small dent on the front of the hood (my fault), very light hail damage from my trip to Denver (it could have been much worse as hard as the hail was coming down), a small dent just abouve the front drivers side wheel (mystery), and one small dent in the liftgate (my fault, mower threw a rock). Considering I've had my car for a year and a half and put over 40,000 miles on her, that's not bad IMO. Like courthousedeb, I park far away from others and walk rather than have some idiot bang thier door into my car.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
HHR PNOY - Was the dent towards the front where the hood slopes down?

I'm wondering because I have about the same predicament and it is in the location described above. I am wondering how much it will cost to fix it.
That's where I have a dent. I pushed down on the corner of the hood and put a small golf ball sized dent where the hood slopes down. I have been considering trying the hair drier/air duster method to eliminate it. Will post results after it has been tried.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Like courthousedeb, I park far away from others and walk rather than have some idiot bang their door into my car.
Heh heh... I do that, too. Either that, or park to cars that are upper-end cars, like new Suburbans and Cadillacs, because people with the newer cars tend to be more careful
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
That's where I have a dent. I pushed down on the corner of the hood and put a small golf ball sized dent where the hood slopes down. I have been considering trying the hair drier/air duster method to eliminate it. Will post results after it has been tried.
Hopefully it works. I just didn't know if it would be average cost or more expensive because of the extreme curvature of the hood in that area.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM

So far no dents in the HHR. The wifes MPV has two, one from a flying rock off of a weekwacker, the second she closed the garage door with the hatch open.....

I park in spaces that look ok to me at the time. Park far away and you loose you "blockers" from carts....

It's not thinner on the HHR than 90% of all cars of the same year.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
Hopefully it works. I just didn't know if it would be average cost or more expensive because of the extreme curvature of the hood in that area.

Good luck
If you go the PDR route, I can't imagine it would cost more than if the dent were in other places, but I don't know for sure. I've heard PDR cost about $70 per dent, and I don't want to turn in 3 dents to my insurance just to have them raise my rates . Hopefully the DIY method will work and I won't have a problem any longer. I heard in the old days, they would set the car in the hot sun and use dry ice to remove dents
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM

and I don't want to turn in 3 dents to my insurance just to have them raise my rates
That was my problem. My rates are already high enough. I only have 2 dents: one on the hood, and one on the liftgate that is right on the body line

I am not experienced enough in body work to do it myself, so I don't mind paying $140 or a little more to get them fixed professionally.

Quick Reply: What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's?