Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Whining noise possibly wheel bearing..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Cold tires maybe?
Well the Michelin tires are extremely hard tires, but I have never heard them make that kind of noise before. And I wasn't going very fast, only about 15 mph on both occasions when I heard the noise.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
The Extra Bonus of buying an HHR thats been Certified is by adding 12 months and 12,000 miles to your bumper to bumper warranty you also extend your eligiblility to buy a GMPP Extended Warranty if you want to buy one when the B to B runs out.
Normally when you pass 3years or 36,000 miles you won't be able to by the GMPP Warranty.

Also a tip on the Free oil change program.
It's done when your DIC shows it's time. If you want to change your oil more often like I do then have your dealer change at approx. 50% on DIC and pay for that change, but tell them not to reset the DIC.
Then when it reaches close to 100% you will get your free oil change.
Yeah, that is the only thing I don't like about the oil change program. I have put 5,000 miles on my HHR SS and my OLM is still at 50%. I'm not waiting til 10,000 miles for an oil change.
What you mentioned was my plan, but I will change it myself at 50% and then get the free change when it gets closer to 0.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Shaggyofwv
You get 12 months/12,000 miles bumper to bumper from the date you purchased the vehicle and the 5 year/100,000 miles powertrain warranty from the original date of sale. They now give you 1 year of free oil changes and tire rotation as well.
This is the second GM certified used vehicle that I have owned.
must be a US thing lol
Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggyofwv
Yeah, that is the only thing I don't like about the oil change program. I have put 5,000 miles on my HHR SS and my OLM is still at 50%. I'm not waiting til 10,000 miles for an oil change.
What you mentioned was my plan, but I will change it myself at 50% and then get the free change when it gets closer to 0.
Thats works too. It also means you won't have to get the dealer to agree to not reset the DIC.

I bought my last HHR GM certified at 11,500 miles on a 2011.
That means I now have 48 months and 48,000 miles Bumper to Bumper from the Original delivery date.
Since they dropped the Wheel bearing warranty on the 2011 powertrain I at least have the 48,000 miles on the speedo in which to have a covered failure under B2B.
By the way the selling Dealer has factored in the approx. $500 charge for the extra year of Warranty and other bennies.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Possible wheel bearing noise

When the noise is audible, swerve (using common sense & good judgement) back and forth a few times to load & unload the wheel bearings. see if the noise changes. if it does might be time to jack up the car and do the ol' push-pull on top-bottom , front-back of the tire to see if there's any excessive movement. spin the tire & listen for clicks , grind & what-nots. also try holding a finger in the center of the dust cap while spinning wheel. might be able to "feel" if the bearing is a little"ruff" & on it's way south. or see if you can find a mechanics stethoscope($3.99 @ harbor freight)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyJames
When the noise is audible, swerve (using common sense & good judgement) back and forth a few times to load & unload the wheel bearings. see if the noise changes. if it does might be time to jack up the car and do the ol' push-pull on top-bottom , front-back of the tire to see if there's any excessive movement. spin the tire & listen for clicks , grind & what-nots. also try holding a finger in the center of the dust cap while spinning wheel. might be able to "feel" if the bearing is a little"ruff" & on it's way south. or see if you can find a mechanics stethoscope($3.99 @ harbor freight)
Thanks for the info. I will give this a try this weekend.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM

Well,try all the suggestions that were in the other replies ,too, before buying any thing (they're free!). Hope you find yer noise. be a bummer if it's just a window that's not fully up ... actually ,no, that wouldn't be a bummer, i think... & if ya got the stethoscope, it would be worth the $3.99 to see a friend's face when you have that sucker in yer ears and holding the probe up & say .... " don't worry, i'm a doctor. this won't hurt a bit ! now, bend over" .....
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM

I find that worn wheel bearings don't make a whine sound, but more of a rough road noise sound....like when driving on super rough pavement.....and swerving back an forth won't make a difference if the rear bearings are the culprit....
One thought is that if you are coasting, the vehicle may be slowing down against the engine...like when gearing down. This might be a sound from the tranny that only happens when pressure comes from the other direction...wheels to engine....
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
I find that worn wheel bearings don't make a whine sound, but more of a rough road noise sound....like when driving on super rough pavement.....and swerving back an forth won't make a difference if the rear bearings are the culprit....
One thought is that if you are coasting, the vehicle may be slowing down against the engine...like when gearing down. This might be a sound from the tranny that only happens when pressure comes from the other direction...wheels to engine....
Well, after swerving like a mad man today on a deserted back road, I don't think it is a bearing problem as I didn't get any abnormal sounds. I am still going to get the car up off the ground this weekend and check things out..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

I had a bearing go out on me this summer, It was a high pitch whine. I did the work myself and created a video of the work, check it out, it might help you fix this.