Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

HHR SS vs. ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I would be impressed if this was a naturally aspirated or even turbo motor, But I bet he had a bottle. Nitrous is Cheating, it's what you use when you don't know how to build up a motor the right way.
Don't kid yourself. I've seen plenty of 10 sec Honda's at the track that were all motor. No way is a 10 sec Honda a ricer, either. A ricer is ugly show and no go.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 AM

Man, you guys are brutal... Not everyone can do all the work, nor do they want to. Thoughout the history of the car scene there have been different stages of modding cars. You B*tch about ricers and in the 50's the self proclaimed hotrodders with Ford Flathead motors did the same thing about the Chevy small block. Then in the 60's it was the guys complaining about the factory muscle cars and the kids that could buy or daddy bought it. Then the sports cars and Pony cars... I've been hearing the same BS about different style cars since I started cruising, rodding and racing in the '60s.

I'm an old phart and have been part of and seen it happen... Hotrodding is hotrodding and times change....Since the SAAB uses the same Turbo motor as the SS does that make an SS Euro crap?

If it wasn't for the Asian cars, Detroit will still be building Luxo barges that wouldn't stop or turn at 10 MPG.

Oh, and don't forget the old VW Beetles... Mine ran low 14's and blew off many a V8 in the day and a few Vettes on the road courses too.

Sometimes stop light to stop light has left and right turns too! Such as Mulhulland drive and the Saturday night street races. Fast and Furious was nothin compaired to reality. And then there is NOS... That is old school boys and girls... It started during WWII. .. It took hotrodders/tuners a long time to catch on.

And there is this long sweeper turn on my way to work... Damn it's fun drivin around those sport sedan guys..He, he, he
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM

My fiancee has an LS1 in his truck and several other mods including nitrous and he races all the time at the drag races. His truck buddies wanted me to put my SS on the dyno and run it and I said no. They want me to run it at the track and I can't do it.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadHHRSS
My fiancee has an LS1 in his truck and several other mods including nitrous and he races all the time at the drag races. His truck buddies wanted me to put my SS on the dyno and run it and I said no. They want me to run it at the track and I can't do it.
Yep, ya better not try it. .. Ya might like it and then you'll get hooked and ya might just have to much fun and then you may want to do it again and again, and again.. and ... wll you get the idea..
Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 AM

i havent raced any but today as i was picking off my dealership lable a guy stoped and asked me to start it up we talked about it and then he went on his way in little honda with a cheep blender as a muffler
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 PM

i finally saw a ss on the road the other day near pottstown pa...

but i was turning into wal-mart...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadHHRSS
What's wrong with putting it on the dyno and get a baseline to see what you've got? It won't hurt anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I always thought that would be cool. Take all the SS good stuff and put it in a bone stock LS body. Talk about a sleeper!

No, a full tube frame with a 355 SB connected to a powerglide, then to a 9" Ford cut to fit with some 18s all the way around, would make a nice sleeper! It could still look totally stock from the outside............hhmmm!