Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Your favourite stretch of road

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I-45 on the Northern part of Houston. 5 lanes wide and flat. Run 85 mph and get around 30 mpg.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
When we were in Oregon last year...we took a road that ran along the Columbia River. Actually had quite a few natural attractions along the way. Started in Portland and turned at Full Sail Brewery towards Mt. Hood :) Natural waterfalls, overlooks, twisties, power plant. It had it all!
So cool cuz I did the same route last summer!! Awesome roads.

We turned south @ Portland and headed west near Grant's Pass. It is a skinny little road that takes you to the west coast!! Wow... amazing little thing, but TOO narrow... much of it is single lane so speed is out of the question in case of traffic coming the other way (which there was not a single vehicle when we were on it, btw)!! The only traffic was a couple vans of river-rafters going the same direction. Still an amazingly fun road!!

Bear Camp Road 1

The view point pullout

Google maps has photos of Mexican and Canadian roads, but roads in Ohio.....
THe pictures in Canada and Mexico are much higher definition as well. But we got them later so the camera technology on the car was improved.

JoeSchmoe - this is in your neighbourhood: one of my favorite roads - Prospect Lake Road from West Saanich Rd. entrance, down to Burnside Road just outside of Victoria.
I actually know it quite well! Whenever I go to Victoria I take a detour just to drive it!! Adds a half hour to the trip....

This pic is from googlemaps on Prospect Lake Rd:

hmmmm.... Nice Mustang... HEY!!! What's this man doing?????

hahaha That is TOO hillarious!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

This looks like a nice little loop.
If I have a film crew and Lisa as a spotter

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2,3.331604&z=9
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM

My favorite road home from Oakland, CA. Take 35th avenue, after going through town, turns into Redwood Rd. Nice twisty road, not too harsh but almost always empty. Can double speed limits on turns, my favorite "blow off some steam after work" road

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1,0.15089&z=13

I'm looking for some open road in norcal besides the obvious cop infested 5, 99, or local freeways of 101, 1, 80, and so forth. Any ideas? Just an area hat I can open up but haven't been out to look. last time was able to do that was on 95 (not 395) in Nevada (north bound from Vegas), no one in site for miles, was a blast :)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM

We also ran up to Haystack Rock and got some cheese at Tillamook (sp?) on the way. Beautiful state they have up there...can't wait to go back.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM

The Dragon, and The Moonshiners Hwy, not quite as twisty, but the speeds are a lot faster,with its smooth flowing curves. As for a local one, heading up from North Ala through Paint Rock Valley, into Lynchburg Tn. And from Scottsboro over the Mountain to Skyline.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by snoopyspaz
My favorite road home from Oakland, CA. Take 35th avenue, after going through town, turns into Redwood Rd. Nice twisty road, not too harsh but almost always empty. Can double speed limits on turns, my favorite "blow off some steam after work" road

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1,0.15089&z=13

I'm looking for some open road in norcal besides the obvious cop infested 5, 99, or local freeways of 101, 1, 80, and so forth. Any ideas? Just an area hat I can open up but haven't been out to look. last time was able to do that was on 95 (not 395) in Nevada (north bound from Vegas), no one in site for miles, was a blast :)

There is a stretch of road, somewhere in the mountains of NorCal, that Corvette groups use. I remember seeing pictures of a G2G and thought it was an amazing road. A lot of turns and twists and some s-ways. If you are not aware of this location, I'll see if I can locate the info from one of those groups.

I like Ortega Highway in SoCal and highway 74 out of Indian Wells to Hemet.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

JoeSchmoe - glad you already know Prospect Lake Rd. - one of my favorites.

Also Hwy 299 West out of Redding California is amazing - it starts out slow and easy then gets into a mess of up and down twisties. Then it chills out for a bit, and bang into the twisties again. Years ago I rode a CBX to the coast there, and had to stop and rest my hands and arms which were totally worn out from muscleing the bike thru the corners at what would now be a politically incorrect speed. What a ride!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Deceased

Besides US 129 "The Dragon", my other absolute favorite road is Route 660 between Mansfield and Wellsboro PA. Its a twisty and hilly stretch that has this one perfect double "S" that is so much fun to just hammer through, but as the locals have found time and time again, those trees don't give much when you "discover" oversteer the hard way.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
JoeSchmoe - glad you already know Prospect Lake Rd. - one of my favorites.
Have you taken the M/C club from Victoria to Port Renfrew and then thru Lake Cowichan loop back to Victoria??? It's brilliant!! Best roads on the Island by far.... The opening post is about the Renfrew to Cowichan portion....

Quick Reply: Your favourite stretch of road