Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

The "New Look" ChevyHHR.net

Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 AM
Deceased

Arrow The "New Look" ChevyHHR.net

Well, judging by the PM's, and e-mails I've been getting, the majority opinion on the "New Look" ChevyHHR.net is a big thumbs down.

Thanks to those of you who have written, and a big thanks to those of you who haven't taken it out on me personally.

I'm compiling all of your input into an e-mail for our owners requesting a rethink of the changes, or some modifications to bring things back to what we've perfected over the years.

In early 2013, I'd worked out a "handshake" agreement that before any big changes were to be implemented, the Staff here would get a preview and be allowed to weigh in on things. Somewhere along the line, that was overlooked.

So, I ask for some patience on your parts, as I have a talk with Internet Brands early next week.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Banned

Psssssh. I think the Look is fine. I think some of the people here are a bit coarse with new people and old.
Obviously you are not of whom I am speaking. I think it is perhaps one or two of the Mods here. Attitude, and ethic for handling new people and old. There are going to be recurring questions, but making people feel stupid or inadequate because either they are too busy to search, and asking a question is quicker, OR, just forgetting to do a two second search, shouldn't make one have to feel alienated.

If you don't have the patience for the job, to spend a minute to look something up for someone, if they are too busy, then you shouldn't have accepted.

I would GLADLY take a couple minutes to research something for a new member who may not be able to adequately use the search box because their terms are not right for what they are trying to find. I work 60 hours a week, and visit my Fiance on the weekends, but, I still log on and see if there's anything I can attempt to answer.

And any mod that reads this, and feels I am attacking them, I am marking this post's time, and keeping a copy of it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM

LawDog, though I fully agree with your post, it has nothing to do whatsoever with 843de's post. Keep a copy.....I'm thinking yours won't be here long since this isn't the thread for it.

If there are supposed to be ads on the right, I run AdBlockerPlus so all I see is a wide empty column.

Last edited by db/sb; 08-14-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I am having a problem with the window that the new posts come up in being so much smaller!
I realize we need the advertising to keep the site rolling but if I can't see the things I'm here to look at them time to say goodbye!!!
I suggest maybe loosing the right side ad panel and one of the two ad panels above.
As for the issues some have with others, PM the one you don't like and deal with them privately!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Am I overlooking something? Where did the " mark forums read" button go?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by db/sb
LawDog, though I fully agree with your post, it has nothing to do whatsoever with 843de's post. Keep a copy.....I'm thinking yours won't be here long since this isn't the thread for it.

If there are supposed to be ads on the right, I run AdBlockerPlus so all I see is a wide empty column.
db/sb while I didn't go into detail, I did mention that I feel the look is fine. I think it's more a matter of the help.

The look, and ease of use to me seems much better, and the difference in the search feature, and other nuance changes are nice.

My only complaint.. It's too hard to upload a photo from the main page to the owners gallery.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
db/sb while I didn't go into detail, I did mention that I feel the look is fine. I think it's more a matter of the help.

The look, and ease of use to me seems much better, and the difference in the search feature, and other nuance changes are nice.

My only complaint.. It's too hard to upload a photo from the main page to the owners gallery.
Really?? You had one sentence about the look......

"Psssssh. I think the Look is fine."

The rest has nothing to do with 843de's topic. That's all I meant. I'm done so let it go; you don't need to explain anything to me.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Because it's so difficult to hover over your screen name and click on "User CP"?

Until Mike posted this thread I never noticed a change. I also have adblock so I only see the top banner. In the mobile view there is no difference at all.

I am taking a wild guess that they are trying to be compatible with Windows 10 "Edge", the new browser. Or maybe just behind on Windows 8.1 that is so touch screen centric.

I guess I should start deleting posts now, but I'm afraid somebody is logging and reporting to the FBI.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

"Which* maybe try searching again using correct wording and terminology. May return more accurate results. " - that worked well?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Deceased

Ahem! Let's all take a nice deep breath please, the whole point of this thread was to acknowledge that I've been getting PM's and e-mails that are expressing concerns...and opinions on the site changes which are skewed quite heavily towards "don't like it".

I'm compiling the messages into a collective "What'd you do that for?" question to be posed on Tuesday with our owners.

Why the changes?

If it's for compatibility with newer browsers, well fine, we're going to have to adapt.

If it's for more advertising space, well then a compromise might need to be made. This site is healthy and growing with a demographic curve that other sites would kill for. And that allows the owners at Internet Brands to generate more income which pays the bills and "keeps the lights on" out at our HQ in Los Angeles.

What I didn't intend was for it to degenerate into an argument, that's pushed my "unhappy" button, and once that button is pushed it stays pushed.

So let's all be civil and patient, I'll have the reasons for the changes in just a few days...OK.

***After a half dozen attempts to write an e-mail that didn't come across as snotty, or with the tone of "What in the heck did you do to the site!?!". I've turned the task over to me Secretary/Assistant Lynn who is very adept at translating "Stressed out and irritable Mike", into something more level headed and less grumpy. More details to come.***

Last edited by 843de; 08-18-2015 at 01:34 AM.