South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Members check in if you can...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Guys, appreciate the concern..

I got the tree carefully sawed up & my buds & neighbor pulled the ropes I attached to help guide the falls away from the home.

Tree safely off roof & thoroughly tarped.. Have to be careful on those 6"-12" pitch roofs, mine is also a 6-12....Easy to slide off.. (believe me)....

Anyhow I took my Yard wagon along in my hhr also, & after the roof was cleared & tarped..
I began cutting 4' chunks, & they kept loading my wagon & taking the loads down to the street, for later pickup.. This tree was almost 20" across the thickest part.

Saw, wagon & I had a busy day..
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Deceased

Glad everything went smoothly sleeper, so you've also turned a 6-12 roof into a playground slide, welcome to the club....ouch.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

843- Thanks..
Playground slide, well almost..
But many years ago did go off the edge of a roof & broke my upper leg bone.
That was a slide that hurt.

BTW: Got a call back, buddy said another neighbor really needed help & would pay well..

Went back over & did what was immediately needed. She tried to pay. But this is not a time to profit from unexpected disasters such as this.( imo )

So with that said, packed up my stuff & rolled home.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
843- Thanks..
Playground slide, well almost..
But many years ago did go off the edge of a roof & broke my upper leg bone.
That was a slide that hurt.

BTW: Got a call back, buddy said another neighbor really needed help & would pay well..

Went back over & did what was immediately needed. She tried to pay. But this is not a time to profit from unexpected disasters such as this.( imo )

So with that said, packed up my stuff & rolled home.
Sleeper-

Glad to hear everything went smoothly. It's very thoughtful of you to help out your neighbors. About 5-6 years, we had a windstorm, winds reached 75-80 mph, so it wasn't technically considered a tornado. Anyway, we live out in the country, and we and our neighbor both have big yards with a lot of trees. We had 3-4 trees down, one of them smashed our Oldsmobile Cutlass, flattened it pretty good, totaled the car. But our neighbor was unfortunate and had about 6-7 trees down, a big mess and a lot of work. He had his son come over and help and we went over there and helped as well. We worked at it all day for 2 days and finally finished, but boy, I don't think I've ever seen so much destruction in my life It's amazing how much damage can be done in such a short period of time. It took 2 days and a lot of people working at it to clean up the mess that was caused in 20 minutes Thank god both of our houses didn't get any damage.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

goetylsd-

Thank You.

Bummer about the Cutlass, but always good to see one helping another..

We live in the country as well, & have room to breathe.. I can relate.

Sad that sometimes it takes a tragedy for people to help others, just because it's the right thing to do..
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm alive, but if it wasn't for the steel re-enforced cellar doors I don't think I would be. Pretty sure wood doors would ahve been gone and we would have been sucked out.

I saw the F4 (almost F5) roll into the subdivision about 300 yds from my wife's uncles home when I shut the Storm doors and latched them. The pressure was so great your ears popped and you could not hear anything being said.
The tornado did not look like a classic v shaped tornado, but rather a dark black cloud wall hovering about roof height as it rolled in, below it was clear and above it was black. About 5 min before the tornado hit, out of the rainy grey sky tin debris was just falling sporadically.
The doors sucked out while the tornado was passing and when me and my brother in law came out to see the damage first (make sure there were no bodies around), the houses on both sides of her uncles place were gone.
My turbo van was damaged on the drivers side, my nieces boyfriends parents car was destroyed on the drivers side. Her Uncles house was intact minus the foyer between the garage and house with roof damage. The back garage was gone, but the first one was left. Various houses throughout the subdivision were damaged or leveled.
Me, the wife and brother in law then went out through the subdivision to make sure people were ok (no fatalities or serious injuries), then proceeded across the field to my father in laws house to check the damage there (they were in Va. at the time). There were 50-100 yr old trees uprooted or snapped off everywhere, it looked like pick up stix around his house. Put it this way there were so many trees down around his house the insurance called in a logging company to clear it all. We cleared it by hand for the first 3 days and only cleared the front of the house, the back yard was 100 times worse.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I'm alive, but if it wasn't for the steel re-enforced cellar doors I don't think I would be. Pretty sure wood doors would ahve been gone and we would have been sucked out.

I saw the F4 (almost F5) roll into the subdivision about 300 yds from my wife's uncles home when I shut the Storm doors and latched them. The pressure was so great your ears popped and you could not hear anything being said.
The doors sucked out while the tornado was passing and when me and my brother in law came out to see the damage first (make sure there were no bodies around), the houses on both sides of her uncles place were gone.
My turbo van was damaged on the drivers side, my nieces boyfriends parents car was destroyed on the drivers side. Her Uncles house was intact minus the foyer between the garage and house with roof damage. The back garage was gone, but the first one was left. Various houses throughout the subdivision were damaged or leveled.
Me, the wife and brother in law then went out through the subdivision to make sure people were ok (no fatalities or serious injuries), then proceeded across the field to my father in laws house to check the damamge there (they were in Va. at the time).
Thank God you're alright... F4, that's some scary stuff right there.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Thank God you're alright... F4, that's some scary stuff right there.
I think they were saying we were 4 mph from F5 status on the Tornado that rolled through where we were taking cover.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Glad you're okay..... 4mph too slow, huh?... Pfft that's an F5 in anybody's book.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Deceased

Thanks for checking in with us HHRSSouth, the word you were OK came down the grapevine, so glad you made it through the storm.

Quick Reply: Members check in if you can...