SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2 problems with fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 PM

2 problems with fuel

So driving the other day I was holding 60mph and the SS starting acting up, felt like it was misfiring. No check engine light. then I floored it and it would barely accelerate and the fuel pressure wouldn't go above 1100psi, so i slowed down went into 3rd and floored it again and it was driving normal. also anyone have trouble when refueling? I can get about 2 gallons in at a time and then the pump would click, it has happened at multiple stations. I have moved the nozzle around too. I did blow some air into the vent hose so we will see if that fixed it, i haven't refueled yet.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 AM

no problems with my SS with fueling up
I wish my scanner did show fuel pressure
Not to change the subject but My SS when the key is turned and the pump first activates seems to be louder now than before are you experiencing anything like that?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Deceased

I'd suspect either a problem with the high pressure fuel pump or the pressure regulator, as to the refueling deal, sounds like a restricted filler neck. Do you park outside overnight, sometimes folks like to leave little "surprises" by stuffing things down filler necks on parked cars.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

Sounds like a loose gas cap. While I may not have an SS a loose cap caused me to have a code pop for fuel pressure being off.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM

You tried another gas station?this happens every time you fill?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM

If your HPFP goes out, you'll know it. Mine was fine one minute, out the next. Car barely runs at all. No warning that it was going to occur.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM

You may have picked up some water contaminated fuel. Once the water slug passes the motor will run fine. You may also have some build-up in your injectors, try a bottle of the GM Fuel Additive Plus next time you fill. As for having trouble with fueling, you said you have moved the nozzle around to no avail. Have you tried backing off a bit on the rate of fill by not holding the handle trigger all the way? Not all fuel pumps flow at the same rate, some are fast and some are slow. If you are filling at the same pump, it may be a high flow rate which causes your issue. Lastly, what gas are you using? Hopefully it is from a Top Tier supplier, if not, you can be pretty sure your injector nozzles are gummed. Let us know what remedies your issues ! Lastly, I never fill up at a station when there is a tanker there making a drop and stirring up the storage tanks fuel, and sediment, you don't want that in your tank. Yeah, there is supposed to be a filter in the pump. Note I said SUPPOSED to be !!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 PM

The pump doesn't sound any louder. I used 3 different gas stations, I use Shell Mobil and Marathon. It happened at all of them. This started about 4 full gas tanks back, so about 1200 miles ago. I had originally thought about the flow rate coming out of the gas pump but it never happened before at the same stations i use. I have been riding my motorcycle lately so it won't be another week or so until i fill up again. i will keep my finds posted. thanks for all the insight.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

So. Did this fuel filling problem start about the same time as the weather started getting really hot? Just wondering.....
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 10RedSS
The pump doesn't sound any louder. I used 3 different gas stations, I use Shell Mobil and Marathon. It happened at all of them. This started about 4 full gas tanks back, so about 1200 miles ago. I had originally thought about the flow rate coming out of the gas pump but it never happened before at the same stations i use. I have been riding my motorcycle lately so it won't be another week or so until i fill up again. i will keep my finds posted. thanks for all the insight.
I can understand how frustrating this type of thing can be with your vehicle. I look forward to reading any other updates you would like to share.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2 problems with fuel