SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Doing the Job Chevy won't. Wire Job Step 1 MAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Doing the Job Chevy won't. Wire Job Step 1 MAP

So I have told the dealer over and over again to solder my Stage Kit wires just to see if the Surging will go away but they just ignore the request... So I started doing it my self. Part 1 Top Map Wiring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Really? Quality Dealership Crimping

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM

I hope that was it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I hope that was it.
Damn I just posted up and it cleared my reply..

Ok It took about 30 minutes to solder it. So far last night and today I've had no more surging issues. The connectors that were crimped had exposed areas so Im assuming that over time corrosion happend.

What I'm trying to do is eliminate the issue so that others that have the problem can do the same. All of the known surging issues are with people with the Stage Kit's. I will work on the lower Connectors soon.

When I originally had the Stage kit installed, it ran fine for 4 months but it started surging and the dealer couldn't figure it out until the 7th time in where they had their BEST guy redue the stage wiring. They told me that they soldered the wires, but that was false. They just recrimped the wires and it worked for about 11 months. So if this works, it will help people out on here.

It took 30 minutes to do and was very simple and looks nicer than before.

My only question is or could a bad signal from the MAP sensors cause a MAF code? Twice the dealer cleared the MAF code "NEVER TRIED TO FIND OUT WHY IT COMES ON" but I and my buddy that works on Dodge Vipers believes that corrosion and resistance with the connectors was causing the surging.

I will let everyone know how it goes "KNOCK ON WOOD" with this fix.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I'll be interested to see what people say abeout the maf code being caused by the map sensor connection. No real reason it should but stranger things have happened. The ss I'm buying from my dad is having persistent maf/map, limp mode, and recently a missfire... And all after months of stage 1 love. Were giving the dealer another shot next week and I'd that doesn't solve the problem I will be soldring the wires myself.

Please keep this thread updated with your findings!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

This thread is just in the nick of time. My car is seriously messed up. The first time my car messed up they replace the connector and 8 months later the same issue came back. Now at a new dealer, The issue was said to be my Aero Gauge. Right it worked for about 2 weeks (They must have wiggled the connectors). Return trip to the dealer they are now blaming the wastegate solenoid. Part order and I won't hurt anything. When this part is going to come in god knows. I even went to another dealer told him the story and because there was a part on order that dealer said they had to back off.
So, this is excellent I now know where the connections are located and will see what I can do. I know the connection is the problem as it acts exactly the same way it did when they replaced them and it lasted for 8 months. At this point it only needs to act correctly for a test drive during the trade in. Thanks for the great pics
Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 AM

I bet you'll never see that solenoid. It has been on perennial backorder forever and ever. I hope you or the dealer find something else that fixes it.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM

OMG, I took a pair of needle nose plyers and gave them a squeeze and suddenly back to 22+ lbs of boost. Went for a 10 min test ride with no issues I hope it stays that way for the ride home. I couldn't believe how my wires were spliced together when I found them. They are out in the open and standing straight up and down for any water to possible enter through the ends. I knew it wasn't the solenoid. And my dealer too refused to solder during this said if I was willing to pay for it they would.
Thanks again for the picks.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Went for another long drive and still not even a studder. Knock on wood.
Im telling you that the connectors might be the Achilles' heel of this issue. No matter what people think, the 5v ref can't be messed with on stuff like this....
Old 09-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Nice!!! I had my wires soldered at the dealer I work at.....after MANY times of the car being in for no boost issues. They were soldered in July and I have had no more issues. I am skeptical of the life the solder will have......I hope it will last. Everyday I drive it, I keep wondering if the no boost will come back.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Nice!!! I had my wires soldered at the dealer I work at.....after MANY times of the car being in for no boost issues. They were soldered in July and I have had no more issues. I am skeptical of the life the solder will have......I hope it will last. Everyday I drive it, I keep wondering if the no boost will come back.
Solder will last for a long time from what I know, and will also if wrapped is just like never cut.. I will give it a while but my hopes are good now. Just need to do the bottom ones.. :)

Quick Reply: Doing the Job Chevy won't. Wire Job Step 1 MAP