SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Found out why car pulls to left. Shocks bad at 30k miles? Warranty help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Update:

I took the car out this morning and noticed that it does not pull to the left anymore. It seems to pull to the right ever so slightly. Does this mean it was the tires after all? We're they worn improperly and this is why they are not pulling? Could it still be the shocks/struts? I feel like I should get it looked at by the dealer just in case.

Brian
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Deceased

Maybe yes, maybe no. Check your tire pressures all the way around and feel the treads for any odd patterns like cupping or feathering.

Since you're under warranty, I'd still have it checked out, but a strut wouldn't cause a pull unless it was damaged/bent. NTB fed you a line of hooey, they were trying to make a sale, and telling someone they have "bad struts and shocks" is a trick of the trade.

You may have an alignment issue though, all it takes is nailing one good pothole to tweak something just a tad, yearly alignments are always a good idea.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JAMIROBri
Update:

I took the car out this morning and noticed that it does not pull to the left anymore. It seems to pull to the right ever so slightly. Does this mean it was the tires after all? We're they worn improperly and this is why they are not pulling? Could it still be the shocks/struts? I feel like I should get it looked at by the dealer just in case.

Brian
I believe you are on the correct path to having your concerns addressed by visiting the dealership as others have posted. Please, let me know the outcome of taking your vehicle to the Chevrolet dealership today.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM

As others mentioned get it to the dealer you have a warranty.
My dealer helped me out tremendously
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM

I set up an appointment with my local dealer today (for next Tuesday). He told me if it was the shocks, they would not help out because I'm 1,000 miles over my warranty cutoff (the certified one). That dealership is always giving me a hard time and never wants to help out. If it turns out to be the shocks, I'm going to talk to the owner (again, I've had issues in the past) and see if they'll change their minds since the car only has 31k and shouldn't need new shocks already! If it is the shocks and they are bad, I'm sure they were bad 1,000 miles ago too.

Brian
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

FWIW. You might only have 31k miles on your car but it is also 4+ years old.
The seals in struts and shocks are effected by age also.

Plus. I still say your "pulling left" issue is something else.(Unless the car was wrecked and you have a bent strut). If you replace the shocks and struts, don't be surprised when the pulling problem shows back up.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with George. WORN shocks and struts will not cause your vehicle to pull to the left. Cupped tires will, depending on severity, cause a slight shake in the steering wheel and may cause a slight thumping sound. Your problem is another mechanical or specification issue.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the majority of alignment "pull" complaints are to the left. I personally know 3 HHR's (4, counting mine) that have had this issue.

Last edited by Snoopy; 05-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I agree with George. WORN shocks and struts will no cause your vehicle to pull to the left. Cupped tires will, depending on severity, cause a slight shake in the steering wheel and may cause a slight thumping sound. Your problem is another mechanical or specification issue.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the majority of alignment "pull" complaints are to the left. I personally know 3 HHR's (4, counting mine) that have had this issue.

Mine has a slight pull to the left on most roads. Seems on freeways, no pulling.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I agree with George. WORN shocks and struts will not cause your vehicle to pull to the left. Cupped tires will, depending on severity, cause a slight shake in the steering wheel and may cause a slight thumping sound. Your problem is another mechanical or specification issue.

Did you find out why yours was pulling left?

Also, when NTB put my front tires on backwards (directional), the pull went away! They said the tires were cupping (only 3k or so miles on them) and the cupping was due to the bad shocks/struts.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

My pull to the left was after a "mickey mouse" wheel alignment (and slightly noticeable with the steering wheel slightly off center. I went to another shop that specializes in front end work and had it re-done. The pull is gone. The point here is, a good wheel alignment shop should be able to correct the problem....especially if you provide the alignment spec sheet from the first alignment (this may give them an idea before they start). Note that some alignment shops do an alignment that is programed into their machines from the alignment equipment manufacturer. These, in some instances, are NOT correct. It should be done to the CAR MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS. It helps also if the shop works with you in your problem and then takes the time to properly correct it.

Wherever the alignment is done, you should be provided a computer print out of the before and after results.

I would post mine, for an example, but I'm presently not at home.

NTB is correct about the tires cupping from poor shocks/struts....IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Have you looked at, and felt your tires for the cupping? Is it that noticeable?

EDIT.....just noticed you have a Vette. I do also. I took the HHR to my Vette people for the alignment. You might also consider someone who specializes in performance vehicles. They appear to do more consciences work.

Quick Reply: Found out why car pulls to left. Shocks bad at 30k miles? Warranty help?