SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

HHR SS needing a headgasket already?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Don't know about you sleeper, but I've done more engines than I can accurately remember, probably been over 200. Don't forget I'm a guy who grew up around the race track, in a town that gave the world Dale Earnhardt, engines I know.
Sorry just covering the baes. With this web site we have as many or more non gearheads here as any other site. I ment no harm.

Besides anyone who invokes the name of Dale is Alright.

I grew up at short tracks too.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Deceased

We're cool, always have been.

Yeah Dale was and will always be the man in my book, he was a great friend, an incredible driver, a real cut up when he was with folks he felt comfortable around, and someone I miss every single day.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
We're cool, always have been.

Yeah Dale was and will always be the man in my book, he was a great friend, an incredible driver, a real cut up when he was with folks he felt comfortable around, and someone I miss every single day.
I was a Dale fan back in the days before Wrangler. I still remember him racing in the Curb car. To be honest I have not been as big of a NASCAR fan since we lost him. I pull for Tony and JR but I still miss the old days.

Pearson, Cale, Dale etc these were the guys I loved to watch. Today it is more show than race.

I got to meet Dale a few times through my neighbor who was the PR guy for Goodyear Racing and my dad who also worked at Goodyear.

I also loved it when I ran into Junior Johnson at Goodyear one day.

The Funny part is I work for a company that caters mostly to drag racing and they sent me to have lunch with Dale Jarret one day since I was the NASCAR fan here. He is also a really class guy.

But I really still miss that old black car on the track. You never knew what he was going to do or how he was going to do it.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Deceased

I go back even farther, Dale was still known as "Ralph's boy" when I watched him run on dirt and the little asphalt bull rings. Back then people used to wonder if he'd ever be as good as his Daddy, well we know he was.

Junior Johnson is an interesting guy, some of the stories he tells from the old days, you laugh until your sides are going to bust.

David Pearson and Ned Jarret are true gentlemen, Bobby Allison is really quiet but funny when you get him going, and then you have Tony Stewart....he's one of the silliest guys I know...but only away from the track.

But you're right, racing isn't as fun or engrossing since we lost Dale, people who follow racing these days just don't know what they missed. 11 years have passed in the blink of an eye, and I still expect to see the 3 car on the track, then the sadness hits because I know those days are gone forever.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Since North Wilksboro closed, Sr. died and Jap cars have soiled an American tradition, NASCAR = Prostitution.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Deceased

There have been plans to revive Wilksboro, but so far its just talk, miss that track.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM

I too miss Wilksboro. The short tracks were always my favorite. I have to go to Martinsville to get that feeling anymore. Plus the Red Hot Dogs.

I still believe Pearson was one of the smartest drivers ever. He saved his cars and drove the hell out of them. If he had driven more races would have won great deal more. Richard is a nice guy but he had the best cars and drove sometimes 3 times a week back in the day. Not hard to win 200 that way.

I suspect when Dillion moves to cup full time the 3 will return. It is in Nationwise this year and no one has an issue with that. I suspect Richard will use it as leverage to get a big sponsor for his grandson. It was his number before Dales anyway.

I just hope JR can put a good solid year together. It seems like after he hit the wall at Cali he has just never been the same. I have see a solid hit like that change a driver. That hit Gordon took at Texas did the same to him. He is good but not as good as he once was.

Being able to go 11/10ths after a bad crash is a mark of a great driver. SR proved that many times Broken leg and all. I remember Pocono.

I really wish Tim Richmond had not screwed himself up. He was the only drive of that era that I think could have given Dale a hard run. I have even heard him say that. Tim was a local brat from here. He may have been the spoiled rich kid but he was one hell of a driver. You should hace seen him here on dirt in a sprint car.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Founding Member

So penning4544, how goes the repairs?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

So penning4544, how goes the repairs?
Must be a Jimmy Johnson fan.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Must be a Jimmy Johnson fan.
Ok, this is the last off topic, but that did make me laugh.

Quick Reply: HHR SS needing a headgasket already?!