SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Intermediate steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 09:29 PM

If it's just the splines that are different, maybe you can cut the spline ends off and weld the old splines to the new shaft
Old 07-19-2023, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Holy cow! That’s a lot of rust and corrosion. Hate to see what the rest of the undercarriage and suspension looks like.
That's what I said! Suspension, calipers, lower control arms, exhaust, and rotors were all rusted out. However- and I'm as shocked as you are- the undercarriage was actually fine! Surface rust on the frame, but that's normal for a car this old in southwestern PA. Passed state inspection with flying colors.

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
If it's just the splines that are different, maybe you can cut the spline ends off and weld the old splines to the new shaft
I thought about that as well. I'll see if any shops around here would be willing to do that, as I don't have a welder.

On another note, would a non-SS rack and pinion happen to fit on an SS? That's where the splines are different compared to the non-SS models. Whyever GM decided this was a good idea is absolutely beyond me.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by AbeL_Legend
On another note, would a non-SS rack and pinion happen to fit on an SS? That's where the splines are different compared to the non-SS models. Whyever GM decided this was a good idea is absolutely beyond me.
I've thought about this, as well. If the steering ratio is different, it might mess with the active handling while driving it. A major part of that system is the steering angle sensor, which I believe is located in the EPS module above the intermediate shaft. It would see the extra turning of the steering wheel, but not as much change in direction of the vehicle and activate, thinking you're sliding the front end.

Robert
Old 07-19-2023, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by rorr
I've thought about this, as well. If the steering ratio is different, it might mess with the active handling while driving it. A major part of that system is the steering angle sensor, which I believe is located in the EPS module above the intermediate shaft. It would see the extra turning of the steering wheel, but not as much change in direction of the vehicle and activate, thinking you're sliding the front end.

Robert
Active handling being traction control, right?
Old 07-19-2023, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by AbeL_Legend
Active handling being traction control, right?
Traction control is engine torque management, which is used in conjunction with active handling. I'm talking about the part of the system that uses individual brakes at each corner to ensure the car goes exactly where you steer it.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:20 AM
Administrator

A: do the two pieces of each shaft slide apart? Is it plausible to just replace the bottom half?
B: if it’s the upper yoke that’s different from the LS/LT then could you just swap the top yokes?

C: I don’t know the exact dimensions of these bearing caps but there is a possibility of replacement u joints as this guy did

Old 07-19-2023, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
A: do the two pieces of each shaft slide apart? Is it plausible to just replace the bottom half?
B: if it’s the upper yoke that’s different from the LS/LT then could you just swap the top yokes?

C: I don’t know the exact dimensions of these bearing caps but there is a possibility of replacement u joints as this guy did

https://youtu.be/sMjNVNUewDY
A/B: I think so? I'll take a look at the LS/LT shaft and get back to you. I was thinking the same thing.
C: That video is where I got the idea from, actually.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:39 AM

Machine shops used to do that sort of thing every day. Cut a piece of metal weld another piece on. Pretty much the reason to invent the lathe parting tool.
If the bearing caps are the same, you have the parts to rebuild. Or, one more time, Machine shops know where to get special bearings.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Administrator

And where would you suggest to cut the yoke to weld on a replacement?
The heat might damage the u joints . I’m not comfortable doing it to steering parts. Just me.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:28 AM

The bearings are replaceable. Either tolerance fit or circlip.
The picture provided shows a joint where the shaft is welded to the u-joint..

Once again, Machine Shop bread and butter.

Quick Reply: Intermediate steering shaft