SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Lowering Springs Totally Collapsed-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:22 PM
GTR

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Did you talk to ZZP about their springs that you already bought?

Yes, they initially told me the springs should work, that they have used them with HHR’s without any problems. I explained I didn’t see how mine could possibly work when they were fully compressed up against the bumpstops with no strut travel left. I was told they were designed to be lower than stock but with stock-like ride quality. I again advised I couldn’t see how this was possible on the front because there was no suspension travel left. I asked if they would verify the spring kit was for an HHR SS and that I received the correct part numbered kit and, if so, could I maybe have received improper fronts by mistake. They said what I received was correct and to send them some pictures. I sent the pictures and then received an email saying I could send them back for store credit, no fix for the problem or remedy, and no alternate spring kit suggestions. I asked if they might have a set of front coilovers that might work to where I could just adjust out the problem issue. The response was they only sell coilovers in a kit for all 4 corners, no part # or pricing for the kit. Since the installation shop couldn’t keep everything tied-up and with no immediate solution from ZZP a set of Pedders springs were ordered to try them. The end result was just about the same, rears worked fine, but the fronts were still pretty much collapsed. They were a little less compressed, but still no travel up front. The installation shop compared all the front springs and reported to me that both the ZZP and Pedders front springs are obviously shorter than the OEM’s, but also the diameter of the coils is much, much smaller than the originals. They advised both of the aftermarket front springs are much easily compressed than the OEM’s, so, with all details, this explains why they are collapsing so much. According to Powell Racing, their available spring set should resolve issue up front, so unless anybody can think of anything else I’m going to probably give them a try or reinstall the OEM’s.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 PM
GTR

Sorry, this picture didn’t attach with my previous post about measurements. Hopefully this will explain the 22 inch measurement.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

What is the measurement from the Wheel arch to the ground?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Mine on the Pedders.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Level and low

Wheel arch to pavement, rear
Mine are Canuck Motorsports
Old 03-28-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Mine on the Pedders.

Good side view George
He says 22". Would like to see a picture of his compared to yours. Split screen maybe ?
Also maybe take a measurement of the "rocker panel".
Old 03-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

A picture and measurement of the car with the Stock springs installed would be interesting as well, for a comparison to other stock ones.

It's a little confusing I think. Initially you said the struts and front end were stock until the springs were installed and it was found they sag to the point of unusability. So if it was stock, and the springs were swapped out, and the problem was encountered, then the springs are defective/wrong ones.

But you later say the struts are KYB and they compare to the stock OEM - If the springs are collapsing to the point they are binding, they are very most likely the wrong springs

"They did mention it has KYB struts, and they thought that might have been the issue, so they ordered the Chevy OEM struts and compared them with the KYB's, said there was no exterior differences. They advised there are some internal differences between the OEM and KYB's, but with regard to the springs there wasn't any difference that should cause the problem being experienced."
Old 03-28-2019, 03:09 PM

Whopper
Shocks have to bearing on the height of the car, only compression and rebound control over a bump.
The springs govern ride height.
If the springs show some type of coil bind at static ride height I would have to say "Houston we have a problem" .
Old 03-28-2019, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Agreed, members here have installed KYB struts into their SS models, no problem, it’s the springs, they are wrong !
I posted a picture of my LS, why , because the ride heights, the struts and shocks would only affect ride height if one was bent or binding , it would sit higher , , but not cause the spring binding.

what part number are we dealing with for the springs?
According the Canuck the Cobalt and the Cobalt SS and the HHR all have different part numbers. All different lowering dimensions.

http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/cat_car_domestic.html

I’m wondering if you got old stock Pedders for a Cobalt SS that might explain the coil binding.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Agreed, members here have installed KYB struts into their SS models, no problem, it’s the springs, they are wrong !
Blue I guess you mean the people doing the work for this person ?

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs Totally Collapsed-HELP