SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Muffler ordeal....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SS fan
So far everyone has liked the sound of it, so you can blame me if you don't like it. I also replaced the resonator with a 22" glass pack, when I did the first exhaust, just thought I would throw that in there it's over two years old so it probably isn't doing much at this point. Nobody here said oh my God turn that thing off.....
maybe they were just being nice
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Too bad Ontario is so far over and up there..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM

stock resonator plus Borla XR1 Race muffler = awesome.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Sounded like the muffler was on backwards.

I deal with all the performance muffler companies at work and there is a science to most of them and you have to understand them if you are looking for sound and performance. Too many people who sell them also treat them as just regular mufflers too.

Flow masters work but they are not all the same. They also have to be match better than say a simple glass pack.

#1 Flowmaster makes a muffler that has one extra baffle that does not kill the flow but kills the resonance. This muffler was made just for the SUV markets as they noise was coming into the cabin and driving people nuts. This solves that issue.

Second it will not kill performance as many others have used these muffler with good effect. It also sounds like it may have been on backwards or you had some other issue.

Best always if unsure to speak to someone like the MFG or Summit Racing before buying this kind of muffler for a custom set up.

If I had a dollar for everyone who bought the wrong muffler and hated it I would be retired by now. This is common and happens way too often.

I would recommend to call the MFG of who you want to try and get their direct feed back as odds are you will not be the first SS or Eco owner to call them.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor
Did it sound like this at WOT?

http://youtu.be/wzqjyow03QU
Originally Posted by hyperv6
Sounded like the muffler was on backwards.

I deal with all the performance muffler companies at work and there is a science to most of them and you have to understand them if you are looking for sound and performance. Too many people who sell them also treat them as just regular mufflers too.
I
Flow masters work but they are not all the same. They also have to be match better than say a simple glass pack.

#1 Flowmaster makes a muffler that has one extra baffle that does not kill the flow but kills the resonance. This muffler was made just for the SUV markets as they noise was coming into the cabin and driving people nuts. This solves that issue.

Second it will not kill performance as many others have used these muffler with good effect. It also sounds like it may have been on backwards or you had some other issue.

Best always if unsure to speak to someone like the MFG or Summit Racing before buying this kind of muffler for a custom set up.

If I had a dollar for everyone who bought the wrong muffler and hated it I would be retired by now. This is common and happens way too often.

I would recommend to call the MFG of who you want to try and get their direct feed back as odds are you will not be the first SS or Eco owner to call them.
Thanks for the info!

It was imprinted on the muffler which side was which....unless that was wrong from the factory....

Also I returned it already, so calling them might not get me anywhere
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM

What a lot of people find out the hard way is many of these mufflers are universal and most are intended for a V8. It is sometimes much harder to tune to a small engine as they are so raspy to start with.

Often it is best to go with a cat back as the MFG has it tuned to that engine if one is available.

Also many engines may or may not work with less back pressure. I have had some mufflers and systems that let the exhaust flow over the O2 sensors so fast the car will not run right.

It is not like the old days where just about anything goes.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 AM

But there has to be some that work/sound well. There are tons of turbo cars with small 2.0 engines out there, there has to be a brand that got it right... At least I hope so...my MAGNAFLOW is really starting to bother me
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM

2.5" is the size of our tubing , from the end of the DP, to the exhaust tip.

Our muffler flows 600cfm , & works really well.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor
But there has to be some that work/sound well. There are tons of turbo cars with small 2.0 engines out there, there has to be a brand that got it right... At least I hope so...my MAGNAFLOW is really starting to bother me
Yes there are some very good systems out there but you have to do your home work. My point was in the past nearly anything worked on a V8 but today that is not true on smaller engines.

I don't know what it was but even a cheap Thrush side pipe on a stock 318 to barrel would sound like a high dollar engine. Not sure why but Chryslers always sounded good on junk mufflers.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. It was my fault to begin with, I went with the guy who installed my MAGNAFLOW because he charged less but I knew for a fact he never seen a HHR SS before. My buddy had suggested another guy who I called and he said he has worked on 6 HHR SS and knows what to use but he was a little more expensive and almost 40 miles away... I guess that's what I get for going cheap. Once I save up I'm gonna go to him and see what's up.

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Yes there are some very good systems out there but you have to do your home work. My point was in the past nearly anything worked on a V8 but today that is not true on smaller engines.

I don't know what it was but even a cheap Thrush side pipe on a stock 318 to barrel would sound like a high dollar engine. Not sure why but Chryslers always sounded good on junk mufflers.

Quick Reply: Muffler ordeal....