SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

P0234 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Fixed awesome news!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Somebody has to ask: where and how much did you get it?
I ended up buying a used turbo from Tim (blackTara) that had the solenoid attached. I did find a potential new replacement here, but did not try it.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 PM

Update:
It happened again yesterday. Passed a car on a two-lane highway and all went well. Went to pass another and didn't feel any boost so I backed off. No CEL yet. Then on the Interstate I pulled out to pass a semi and pop, CEL is back on. Car ran fine just no boost. Took it to Chevrolet today to have the code checked and was told the turbo is bad List of parts include "actuator solenoid valves ex and int," turbo, oil feed pipe and oil return pipe along with misc gaskets - $2990 est cost.

I had planned on keeping the car probably until I die. Comfortable, gets good gas mileage, hauls everything I need to haul, and fits in my garage. 2008 HHR SS currently has 84000 miles and I only drive it about 5000 miles a year.

So, two questions...
1 - Does this seem reasonable (relatively speaking since it's a dealer).

2 - Until I can get it fixed (if I decide to) is there an OBD2 scanner that'll let me clear the code when/if it comes back on and turn off the CEL? Tech said it wouldn't particularly hurt to drive the car in CEL-tripped mode but, being kind of anal, I'd like to be able to turn it off as well without paying Chevrolet $100 each time.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM

1. sounds like they are making thing up.
2. yes, most will. But a piece of black tape will do the same thing.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
1. sounds like they are making thing up.
2. yes, most will. But a piece of black tape will do the same thing.
I agree with #1 for sure. Get another solenoid and try it. Heck you could have gotten a new turbo with solenoid with from Powermizer for less than that.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 PM

I agree, they may be jumping to a bad turbo just because they saw oil puddled in the air intake hose at the mouth of the turbo. That may just be from the PCV system and is very common. For around $70 you can try a new boost control solenoid (I linked to a link to it a few posts up).

My understanding is that the code gets thrown when you overboost for 3 seconds at once or 50 seconds cumulative. And it can snap to overboost in less than a second, even when you haven't put the pedal to the metal, so be very cautious until you can solve the problem.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 PM

I have to admit I'm an old geezer. I'm from the V8/carburetor days and all the pieces/parts of turbos are foreign to me. I'm not up on all the terminology. Based on the written estimate I was given some kits from turbochargepros.com run around $900 and seem to include everything except the actuator solenoids which Chevy quoted at $67 each.

Name:  chev_turbo_zpsltushky4.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  156.3 KB

ChevroletÂ*HHRÂ*Turbocharger and Installation Accessory Kit from Turbocharger pros

Are these guys any good, reliable?

Not looking for a hot rod, just dependable transportation that I can feel safe on the road with and use the boost when needed.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 PM

From looking at their estimate, I have zero faith that they even know what's wrong with your car. They want to replace both Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valves, which have nothing to do with an overboosting turbocharger. They also want to replace 4 exhaust gaskets when there are only 2 on the turbo.

I can't speak as to turbochargepros.

If the turbo is the cause, it would be because of a bad wastegate itself. I did a lot of research when I got my P0234, but did not find any wastegates that had gone bad.

The dealer has to sell you a new turbo because they cannot get the boost control solenoid any other way, it is not available from GM as a standalone anymore.

The solenoid I linked to is made by the manufacturer of the turbo, Borg-Warner. It is for a newer model turbo, and if I remember correctly, someone said they had to do a very slight mod to the solenoid so it would bolt up. I'll see if I can find it.

You should talk to an independent mechanic, see if he'll install this boost control solenoid for you. Far and away, the solenoid has been the leading cause of P0234.

There were a few cases of the electrical connector for the solenoid falling apart from extreme heat. I'll get you a link for that part, too.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 PM

OK, here's a link to the new pigtail connector BorgWarner EFR Boost Solenoid Pigtail - Full-Race.com as recommended here P0234 has me stuck. wtf to do? - Page 2 - Cobalt SS Network The thread at Cobalt SS discusses the solenoid and the pigtail.

Here's a direct link to the boost control solenoid BorgWarner EFR Boost Control Solenoid Replacement Kit - Full-Race.com

Here's where the conversation turned to the modification https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...e5/#post804680
Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
From looking at their estimate, I have zero faith that they even know what's wrong with your car. They want to replace both Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valves, which have nothing to do with an overboosting turbocharger. They also want to replace 4 exhaust gaskets when there are only 2 on the turbo.

I can't speak as to turbochargepros.

If the turbo is the cause, it would be because of a bad wastegate itself. I did a lot of research when I got my P0234, but did not find any wastegates that had gone bad.

The dealer has to sell you a new turbo because they cannot get the boost control solenoid any other way, it is not available from GM as a standalone anymore.

The solenoid I linked to is made by the manufacturer of the turbo, Borg-Warner. It is for a newer model turbo, and if I remember correctly, someone said they had to do a very slight mod to the solenoid so it would bolt up. I'll see if I can find it.

You should talk to an independent mechanic, see if he'll install this boost control solenoid for you. Far and away, the solenoid has been the leading cause of P0234.

There were a few cases of the electrical connector for the solenoid falling apart from extreme heat. I'll get you a link for that part, too.
I appreciate your help. I looked all over the above site for the solenoid but couldn't find any. Just for my own edification, is the Cobalt SS the same?

Quick Reply: P0234 code