Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

American Racing Torq Thrust M

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 AM

I found that thread

Sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread but if you want the largest rear tires that will work, here is how to do it. These are pics from a post I did on 7/27/10
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Treble Hook
Actually neither the2007 LT or LS has traction control and ABS was a $795 option.
I'm sorry traction control was option too. I thought maybe a 1 inch lift in the rear might look cool. Of course then there's always unable to rotate tires, but the rear probably have double the life of the front. the goodyear assurance on there when I bought the vehicle a few months ago had less than 2000 miles on them so I could save the other pair and put them on when the first pair wear out. It wouldn't make sense to put 17's on all four right now. Along with the American racing have been looking for a decent set of aluminum catera rims. I like the look of those too but not as much as the torqs. So need to take time to verify abs and traction control. Because of front end issues plagued be the hrr, I really don't want to compound the problems. I can save at least $100 buying a used set of Catera wheels. Also have seen decent price on individual wheels on Ebay if I can't find a set. Plus it may be better to buy individual rims for consistent condition. Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
Sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread but if you want the largest rear tires that will work, here is how to do it. These are pics from a post I did on 7/27/10
No that's cool Lasater, but I don't want to cut things up. I also don't think running 17's with a .5 inch width difference will create a rub issue on the rear, although I will want the side profile of tires to be the same or as close to a little more then the front.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The 17's will have a shorter sidewall than the 16's. This will be a "mismatch" as far as ride and handling is concerned between fronts and rears.

Best to stick with the same size rims and just get some tires that are 26.3" or shorter. The 26.3" is about the max before you run into rubbing issues with the lower strut perch.
Thanks for the maximum clearance numbers Fireman and upon closer inspection of the photo lasater posted it is the rear well cut. I'm still working on the offset and backseat of the rims. The more I ponder it looks like keeping the 16" tires I have and mounting on the same size rim may be the best sensible thing to do. Just installed running boards I pulled off a Daytona blue wreck for $40. Nice upgrade. Had them painted to match my black panel. I think Catera rims would look nice reconditioned and painted black chrome or anthracite silver. I'm not big on the black on black rims and it seems to be the thing everyone here in Florida is doing. It makes the appearance to me flat looking and now to common.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by lasater
Well then if you don't have them, you are golden. I'm running the largest rear tire I could fit. Rears are 225/60/17. You have to cut out some sheet metal in the rear wheel well area and modify the plastic wheel well liner but the results are worth the effort.

Do a search on my previous posts and you will see how I did it. With the right springs (I used Eibach) and spacers (I made some from 3/4" aluminum) it fills the rear wheel wells perfectly.

Good luck. This is a mod that really makes a big difference in the way the car looks.
I DO like the look Lasaterand think your right about the wheel well space. I was thinking about hanging some wind chimes in there! LOL. I was looking at similar rims too, but couldn't find the right offset, but apparently on the Amercan Racing site many of their rims can be bought as blanks. Unfortunately I don't have a big enough budget to go there.