Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Hub Caps for Steel Wheels - My Solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM

Stripe the rim? I have considered this with mine (take off the chrome covers, clean/repaint the wheel itself and lay down a red stripe around the perimeter of the rim. Chrome spyder center with a nice set of lugs. Maybe a nice set of RWL when the tires need replacing...)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Mr. Ship... Have you found a spyder center that will fit? I found a 4.5" and a 4.75". These 5-spoke wheels have 110mm bolt pattern (which is 4.33"). I took off the gray plastic covers that rattled and painted the wheels white to match the vehicle. Looks much better except for the center hub being exposed. I'm not a big fan of drilling into the hub and would rather attach the covers to the exposed lugs. Any ideas? I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take the pics in the daylight.
regards...
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 AM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who found the stock five spoke steelies attractive. I have a black metallic flake 2011 lt and I originally started to paint the stock wheel covers but once I pulled them off the steel looked great. I used the plastic black lugs that hold the wheel covers on, they just pop out, and put them over the exposed metal lugs. I sanded and painted the hubs and it looks great. this plus the ss springs I just installed and the blacked out emblems,markers, and reflectors give my hhr a menacing custom look.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM

This is cool. I just purchased a set of the black 5 spokes for my little panel as well. Have been wondering what center caps to use. I will find something before I put them on. Still have a bunch of miles left on the tires before I buy new ones. Also thinking of putting on some RWL tires like Mr. ship.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by prince_bigd
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who found the stock five spoke steelies attractive. I have a black metallic flake 2011 lt and I originally started to paint the stock wheel covers but once I pulled them off the steel looked great. I used the plastic black lugs that hold the wheel covers on, they just pop out, and put them over the exposed metal lugs. I sanded and painted the hubs and it looks great. this plus the ss springs I just installed and the blacked out emblems,markers, and reflectors give my hhr a menacing custom look.
That's a good idea about using the plastic lugs to go over the oversized unfinished lugs. I pulled the hubcabs off my white 2011 to expose the black 5 spoke steeles and did not like the unfinished look of the lug nuts. I'm searching for a center cap similar to the unmarked police cars that I see running around with steeles and a chrome center cap.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

I run the stock steel rims with holes around them, cleaned up and painted red, looks hot rod retro, I cleaned up my factory lugs and cleared them, but have not seen these centre caps any where, I wll check out the post from the start to fnd them
Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM

I've been reading and surfing classychevusa, but I still don't have an exact part number for a center hub that will fit. Can anyone help me out on which centers will fit the 5-spoke steelies? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I want to do this, but our's in an 09, so it has the circle holes. This, and paint the very outside lip the Flash Blue to match.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by slow8
I got the lugnuts from Amazon.com. The center caps I found online at classychevusa. The backs of the center caps have a little boss that is threaded with 10-32 threads. I drilled and tapped a hole in my hubs and screwed them on.

I know it isn't every ones cup of tea, but I like it and the price was reasonable. I think I have paid about $65 bucks for the lug nuts and caps with shipping. Plus I bought a tap, tap handle and pack of bits. I expected the half-shafts to be really hard but they were pretty easy to drill.
any body have any pics of these wheel covers i have the five spoke wheels and want to get somthing for the center to finish it off cant i find any pics
thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM

no pics nobody ??