Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure Monitor - Don't Want

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
I really don't like those things. I check my pressure manually all the time.

I bought new tires and the firestone store was installing them when their tpms hand held machine broke and it was a mess to get it right.

I finally had to take it to the dealer (Bunnin Chevrolet) that charged $200 to reset them, which seems high, but they tried to tell me that had to replace them for $700 plus parts.

'
Unless I am missing something someone filled you with a line of crap.

It cost nothing to reset the sensors from Jan 2011 and back. You just have to hold the lock and unlock on the fob till the horn beeps with the key on and let the air out each tire starting at the left front going clock wise till the horn beeps at each corner. Once done with the 4th tire it beeps 3 times and you just then need to reset your tire pressures.

Or you can get the cool Kent Moore tool for $69 and just reset them with a push of the button. I used to do it the other way till we bought a 2012 GMC and I had to get the Kent Moore tool to reset it.

I hope I miss understood or you left something out as there us no reason to pay that much to reset your sensors. Most dealers charge $25 if that to reset them.

Delco Sensors run from $30-$50 to buy and if you shop around the aftermarket replacements from Doorman are cheaper.

I got mine at cost through work at $18. Employee discounts help at times.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 PM

That doesnt reset them, that just synchs them to the correct position..tire shops have a scanner that 'talks' to the sensor and sets the correct current pressures..it doesnt cost 200$ though..alot of shops are like 20$..and sensors start around 36$ ea.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Unless I am missing something someone filled you with a line of crap.

It cost nothing to reset the sensors from Jan 2011 and back. You just have to hold the lock and unlock on the fob till the horn beeps with the key on and let the air out each tire starting at the left front going clock wise till the horn beeps at each corner. Once done with the 4th tire it beeps 3 times and you just then need to reset your tire pressures.

Or you can get the cool Kent Moore tool for $69 and just reset them with a push of the button. I used to do it the other way till we bought a 2012 GMC and I had to get the Kent Moore tool to reset it.

I hope I miss understood or you left something out as there us no reason to pay that much to reset your sensors. Most dealers charge $25 if that to reset them.

Delco Sensors run from $30-$50 to buy and if you shop around the aftermarket replacements from Doorman are cheaper.

I got mine at cost through work at $18. Employee discounts help at times.

Sure, but your in the biz and in a different part of the world.

A part of the world that's rooted in reality.

My SS is in El Lay and well, that's 180 from reality.

Anyway this is the story. Firestone on Lincoln blvd. put tires on the car, I used them because I bought new wheels and tires from tirerack and they recommended them.

The scanner they used broke in the process of setting the tpms. They recharged it but the sensors never set properly.

I tried the button thing, actually we did it numerous times but could never get to the three beeps.

Searched for what was considered the best tire store on the west side, took it to them. They used their scanner and could never get them to set and said the dealer can work it from the ecm.

Took it to the dealer, Bunnin Chevrolet who said if they replace the sensors it's $700, if they can just scan them it's around $200. Asked for the service manager and he said he can do it for $70 and I let them do it.

Now I know these are jacked prices. But as I've mentioned before there is not a good chevrolet dealer on the westside of Los Angeles.

Last issue I think Michelle that comes on these forums contacted the dealer and got it done.

I have three SS in L.A. An Impala a trailblazer and the HHR, so I go to Bunnin for service and never have gone in where it's the same people in the service department.

That tells you something.

I know you guys that live in the middle of the country can call bulll**** all you want, but drive your car to LA and find a dealer. You'll leave screaming.

I have a great chevrolet dealer in Dallas, (the Chevy Mgr. that comes on here) Finley in Vegas is very good, but in LA, especially on the west side, come on out and have a problem and tell me what you think.

Not every dealer is created equal, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get something fixed, or spend you life messing with car repairs.

And for the record, when I had the gmtu problems, I went to Santa Monica Chevrolet (went out of business), then Felix (wouldn't work on it), the Community because I was passing by and wanted to see if they had a good tech . . . wouldn't work on it, the Puente Hills where I bought the car, said didn't have the tech that was familiar with it.

Bunnin did fix the gmtu problem by flipping the sensor, but somebody at chevrolet helped them.

The thing is with all the ups and downs with this car, I don't believe there is anything wrong with it other than the service it's received.

Last edited by russruth; 03-30-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
That doesnt reset them, that just synchs them to the correct position..tire shops have a scanner that 'talks' to the sensor and sets the correct current pressures..it doesnt cost 200$ though..alot of shops are like 20$..and sensors start around 36$ ea.
Generally sensors do not need to be calibrated. They do need to be synched or registered in some cases like Toyota.

Here is the kit we sell at work and it is not cheap but it is needed on some cars like a Toyota and BMW. Now GM is a much simpler system as is the new Ford shown in this video. The GM system does not need registered or activated just synced. The sensors also do not need calibrated on GM cars. All you need to do is install and sync and that is it.

Watch this video as while it does not cover every detail on every car it gives some idea how most systems work. Toyota is one of the worst systems.

Here I found it for $59 http://www.toolsource.com/tire-press...-p-142495.html If you own a GM car this is all you really need on the newer systems including the HHR. Note past Jan 1 2011 you will have this tool to sync.

Last edited by hyperv6; 03-30-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Russ this is no reflection on you but people only get the poor service they allow and this is part of the reason California is in such a mess. While I have never lived there I spent months worth of time in San Diego and LA over the last 20+ years. In that time I can see how things have degraded. I can still remember open space south on 5 below Long Beach LOL!

What is sad what starts there ends up moving east over time and I fear the country is headed in the same direction.

So Cal for me is a great place to visit but after a week there I tend to be ready to punch out.

I know some do not understand that driving across LA is like driving across some states as large as it is but I would for sure travel where ever I had to and find a better dealer if I had too. But that is just me.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

hyper.......

I also know of owners who use a very large magnet on GM vehicles......Tahoe, SRX, Equinox, etc. The problem with this is the magnet does need to be placed precisely......but after a few times they learn the "tricks" on each type of vehicle.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
So Cal for me is a great place to visit but after a week there I tend to be ready to punch out.
That's the problem. Our clients love to come to El Lay for a week, so that's how I make a living producing advertising photography and films.

I have a beautiful studio in Dallas, twice the facilities and can produce the same if not better work at a lower price (unless we need a beach) but with the recession clients want to travel someplace that is fun and offers more visual diversity.

Can't blame them.

But your right, if you want to know what's going to happen in Cleveland in 5 years go to California, because it's coming.

I have a perfect imapla ss with magnaflows. Not loud, but not quiet.

When I drive down my prius ridden block (8 of them) , people on the sidewalk wave their hands in front of their nose like something smells.

That's El Lay, at least on the west side.

The east side of california is good, it's just the west.

But finding a good chevrolet dealer, We're still trying, but as I said the closest I've found is Vegas.

Consequently last Feb. I bought a buick GS in Dallas from Sewell. A dealership where the sales people wear italian suits, have months of training on each vehicle and they great you with warm cookies and an espresso.

I know it's sounds like BS, except Sewell was $4,000 less than than the other dealers, amazing and I mean amazing service, incredible followup.

Buying the car took less time, than it did for me to deal with the Bunnin tech rep on the sensors.

But that's the difference between the left of the country vs. the middle.

Sorry to go off topic.

Last edited by russruth; 03-30-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM

GM HHr sensors are ones that do need to be calibrated. Afetr replacing one and it read 11 psi when it was 32 in the tire (scanner fixed this)..but this is generally with new units. But like any electtronic part..sometimes it works to blip the system to wake it up.....
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
hyper.......

I also know of owners who use a very large magnet on GM vehicles......Tahoe, SRX, Equinox, etc. The problem with this is the magnet does need to be placed precisely......but after a few times they learn the "tricks" on each type of vehicle.
That is nothing new as Kent Moore offers a Horse Shaped Magnet that they call a reset tool . You just put it around the valve stem. But that will not longer work on the new cars either. It has been around for years.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
That's the problem. Our clients love to come to El Lay for a week, so that's how I make a living producing advertising photography and films.

I have a beautiful studio in Dallas, twice the facilities and can produce the same if not better work at a lower price (unless we need a beach) but with the recession clients want to travel someplace that is fun and offers more visual diversity.

Can't blame them.

But your right, if you want to know what's going to happen in Cleveland in 5 years go to California, because it's coming.

I have a perfect imapla ss with magnaflows. Not loud, but not quiet.

When I drive down my prius ridden block (8 of them) , people on the sidewalk wave their hands in front of their nose like something smells.

That's El Lay, at least on the west side.

The east side of california is good, it's just the west.

But finding a good chevrolet dealer, We're still trying, but as I said the closest I've found is Vegas.

Consequently last Feb. I bought a buick GS in Dallas from Sewell. A dealership where the sales people wear italian suits, have months of training on each vehicle and they great you with warm cookies and an espresso.

I know it's sounds like BS, except Sewell was $4,000 less than than the other dealers, amazing and I mean amazing service, incredible followup.

Buying the car took less time, than it did for me to deal with the Bunnin tech rep on the sensors.

But that's the difference between the left of the country vs. the middle.

Sorry to go off topic.
No problem off topic here as we all can learn that dealers are not all the same and I have preached this for years as you already know. But yet I see people buy a car and have service issues and repeatedly go back to the same dealer when there are 5 more in town.

I know that City Chevy in La Mesa was good at one time. It is now Jimmy Johnson Chevy but it still under the Rick Hendricks umbrella.

While some of the issues there are moving east many will take much more time to travel here.

I expect California to implode soon as much of it is bankrupt and I really do not see the federal government doing much to bail it out. As you already know Texas and other states are taking much of the business away. My company is in Sparks Nevada because they got a break there vs. California.

It is too bad the overly idealistic people have taken over and tried to be so inclusive to everyone and everything. In a utopian world that is nice but when the bills are more than the revenue it is a disaster.

Right now I fear a large earthquake would put California into a mess that would make a Hurricane in New Orleans look like a vacation. I fear that not only would it take years to rebuild but many will die not directly from the earthquake but due to illness and crime. They may have the It can't happen here thinking but just look around at many spots in the world that are falling apart. People today have little morals or ethics and will do what ever to get what they want or need.

Any ways to get back to things air pressure wise. I would encourage your to pick up the Kent Moore tool as you will need it with the Buick. For $59 and shipping it will save you a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor - Don't Want