Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Used tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM

That's some good advice!!!

I need an inspection soon and my BEST tire was 2/32!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
The issue I personally have with used tires is that you might be buying someone else's problem, they did take them off for a reason.

WOW....you don't know how many times I say that a day... And you are so right......worn out, shifted belts, improper repairs, age...we took off a set today that was 9 years old. Take offs from salvage yards I can see, but thats about it...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
geg

I use the tires "second hand" almost always.
The reason - the low cost without sacrificing quality.
But one important point. I buy these tires from specialized vendors. They buy tires in Japan wholesale, on stocks of insurance companies. These tires have little wear and no signs of repair (sometimes - repair small punctures).
But I agree with you guys. If you buy tires from a private person - you never know what to expect from them. Uneven wear and signs of repair can be seen immediately, but the gap cords can be an unpleasant surprise.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 AM
geg

How do you know the date of manufacture tires?

As recommended U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT - Department Of Transportation - the organization, including, certifies bus for sale in the U.S. market), the date of production of tires is applied to the lateral surface of the tires required, with a clearly defined form. Since the year 2000 - a four-digit number in an oval, the first two digits indicate the week number of year and the last two digits - year of production. That is, for example, encoding 3706 (as shown above) on the sidewall of the tire means the tire is made at the 37th week of 2006. This rule applies to all tires of all producers who orient their products including the U.S. market (DOT certification for the American market required). In fact all the leading tire manufacturers follow this rule, regardless of geographical distribution of tires.

Until 2000, the date of manufacture on the tires designated three-digit code (first two digits - the number of weeks, the last - the code of year).

Manufacturers usually do not give guarantees for the preservation of operational properties of the tire after 5 years of storage, even if it complied with all requirements
Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 AM

There are some places that specialize in used tires and are associated with dismantling companies. They check tires before dismounting them and offer some kind of warranty. You can get rims at these places too. You can get some really good deals from these guys. I've even seen new tires removed from "roll-offs", which are new cars that were damaged in shipping, at these places. As always, check the tires over fully, inside and out, and be aware of what you are buying.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

WE have several BIG tire dealers (not counting smaller ones) that specialize in used/take-off tires. These tire dealers also acquired tires from car dealers (who had specialty shops) that were take-offs because an owners would want a different, bigger or better tire.

When I worked at GMPG, I put out for all-lot bid about 250 tires a month. Some were brand new, with bluing or paper tags still attached. These tires were ordered for testing (maybe for a competitive vehicle) and were surplus from the test. Some were take-offs that engineers requested removed from a particular vehicle for various reasons....usually had between 40 and 3000 miles.

The tires were acquired for a dirt cheap price, by the winning bidder.....as compared to retail selling pricing. For example. a tire lot containing BRAND NEW Corvette tires sold for $28 and change per tire......those tires were about $300 retail. The tires were in the bid because it was the previous model year tires and Chev. and changed size for the new year.

Now I wrote all this to provide example and maybe a guideline for people that buy used tires. SOME tires can be purchased that are absolutely a "killer" deal. But, you may need to be carefully the tires are not "ADJ's" because of a problem. And when you find used tires, there is some wiggle room in pricing.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:30 PM

So my next question; anyone done anything with spacers before? I took a wheel off at home and measured, and the 245 would be close, it might rub, it might not...within probably 16ths of an inch. A couple of cheap spacers might make sure they don't rub, and can be had pretty cheaply.

Talking like a 2-3mm spacer here, nothing crazy. Just enough to make sure nothing rubs