Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Knock Sensor Connector for an Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Knock Sensor Connector for an Oil Leak?

So my '06 HHR has had a small oil leak for awhile...

We finally had a chance to get it into some shops to have a few thorough inspections done, to find out what was going on and shop around for the best deal on repairs, etc.

I was told I needed to have the Oil Pressure Sender replaced, which is understandable.

But then they also told me that the Knock Sensor Connector also needed to be replaced... and now I am curious to know what this has to do with an oil leak? I get, what the Knock Sensor is for... but its connector wire? Is this somehow connected to the oil pressure sensor/sender?

Anyway, I've since had the car into 3 mechanics who have all quoted me around $240 - $300 for the parts plus labor. But obviously I can pick up the parts myself for much less (the sensor/sender I linked is $40 cheaper then the mechanics' prices!) and then shop around for a mechanic with the best labor charge...

But before I go buy the parts I just wanted to get an idea for why they would need to replace the Knock Sensor CONNECTOR... as part of an oil leak repair involving the Pressure Sender?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Find someone else if they said the knock sensor is leaking oil.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:33 PM

No one told me the "knock sensor" is leaking oil...

I was only told that the knock sensor "connector" needed to be replaced... and I am just wondering why it would be associated with the Oil Pressure Sender?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Technical Moderator

The knock senor is in the same area and the connector may have been "disturbed" whist looking for the leak. True, most shops charge to fix rhings they break.

A thread was recently posted in the how-to area for the oil pressure sensor, a "compleat idiot" could do it in an hour.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ng-unit-57962/

The knock sensor is #8 the oil pressure sender is #9.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nazramoth
No one told me the "knock sensor" is leaking oil...

I was only told that the knock sensor "connector" needed to be replaced... and I am just wondering why it would be associated with the Oil Pressure Sender?

My bad sorry
Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 PM

I appreciate that Link, Donbrew. It explains a lot.

I know anyone with the right "know-how" can do it. But I don't have any means of raising the car up, other then its factory included rinky-dink Jack, which I have no confidence in its ability to hold the car up, while I'm underneath pulling on nuts and bolts, and pulling parts off the engine...

I also don't have much confidence in my own ability to NOT screw something up, and do something wrong.... and don't really have a place where I could do the work on my own... living in an apartment with a crowded parking lot that doesn't offer very much space to do such work, nor usually the safest ... considering the way some residents go speeding carelessly through. One of my neighbors got their rear bumper ripped off by a speeder last month while they were trying to back out of their parking spot!

So I would rather buy the parts myself, shop around for the best deal and warranty I can find... and then pay a professional mechanic to do the work.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Check with the mechanic, some won't guarantee work done with parts you bring in to them.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Correct - if you don't have any method of safely supporting the car while it is raised up to permit you to work on it, then you have no alternative but to take it to a shop to have them work on it. Good decision.

You can look online for the required part at various autoparts stores (Autozone, O'Reillys, NAPA, etc) to compare prices etc..
Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Administrator

The oil pressure switch has been changed from up top! There's a thread about it here some where!
I swapped mine from below and removed the starter as Whopper shows in his how to.