2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

10 PSI Boost at Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
To get back on topic.

You will not always see the same boost all the time. The car reads many things and adjust the boost to the needed conditions as stated before.

What is happening on yours is normal and expected. You are not always going to it 23 PSI when you floor it.

Todays electronics tubo engines run much better and the boost is better applied. In the old days a turbo was a pain in the a$$ to drive. You either had too much boost or not enough. You would hit the gas and it would just sit there and kick you in the rear.

Todays car have much better and advanced turbo's and electronics that improve drivability. Also your tanny would not live a week with out the torque control settings.

So enjoy the car there is nothing wrong and there is nothing amiss with the wires.

Note too weather and altitude can effect boost settings. The car also adjust to these issues too. Some here get more boost because they live in Denver vs some one in Miami.

The SS is a very advanced vehicle and one of the best turbo to come along. If you ever drove a old Turbo J2000 or Mustang you would know what I mean.

To me it is amazing as the best Turbo I ever drove was a Twin Turbo Callaway Vette. IT was smooth and lots of power. But now my SS is only 55 HP less than the early Callaway optioned car I drove. It does it with only 4 cylinders and less than half of the CID.
i guess the not getting full boost thing applies to automatics??? i'm just not seeing this with the 5 sppeds,well atleast with mine. imo cars like the mkiii supra turbo,mr2 gen2 turbos,300z tt etc..,were all better than what we have now. simply because those cars the electronics didn't control everything. i much rather run a manual boost controller than let my ecm control everything...just saying
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Hyper dont you have a tune on top of the stg1??
No all I have is a GM Turbo Upgrade. I have a warranty and it is my year round daily beater. I have a vested interest to keep the warranty in tact.

Now if it were my weekend play car I may have done a little more.

Right now if something fails it is GM issue and not mine.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
i guess the not getting full boost thing applies to automatics??? i'm just not seeing this with the 5 sppeds,well atleast with mine. imo cars like the mkiii supra turbo,mr2 gen2 turbos,300z tt etc..,were all better than what we have now. simply because those cars the electronics didn't control everything. i much rather run a manual boost controller than let my ecm control everything...just saying
The autos do see more torque managment but there is still some in the 5 speed.

Most cars are programed differently. But than again few cars including the ones you names see boost as high as the SS with the Upgrade kit. Nor are they FWD.

Boost controlers are fine if you want to play with the car. GM built the SS for the average driver who just wants to get in and drive. They also built it to hold up and not create a warranty nightmare.

The drivability of the SS is very good and it will run fast but also putt around town with no comprimise.

The key if you want to control it yourself is to be smart enough to do so. Most people would trash a car. I see it everyday at work as they do not know how to set up cars properly or deal with them properly.

Everyone wants bolt on performance and not have to do anything more. I heard a guy cry today as he installed a supercharger but did not want to get the car properly tuned to use with the other modified parts.

Today car companies don't make cars fool proof they have to make them idiot proof. Those who are smart enough will figure out the way around things. Those who don't break a lot of parts or have a car that runs like crap.

The bottom line is the Eco Turbo is one of the better small Turbo engines ever built for street use. At this point we have yet to see all that they will do with this engine and Tubo's at GM. The LNF was hindered by the Transaxle not the engine. Note in the Solstice the increase in torque the 5 speed saw to 340 FT LB. With better trannys in the future and better tuning we will see more power.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
i love it!!! there is no comparison. however,imo,the key to really enjoy your trifecta is to upgrade the clutch. i upgraded mine about 2 years ago. yeah,i took a lost with the hahn tune,but i got mine when it was the only tune out back in 08 and glad i did it. imo,i tell people to stay away from the gm tune. if warranty is a problem for an indiviual,i suggest they leave the car stock tilll it's paid for or the warranty runs out. so ssroadster,it's a green light and vince is a stand up guy and backs the product 100%.
I hear you on that, I also got that tune in 08, I think we were one of the few who made the purchase at that time.....the Trifecta tune is looking better as time goes on.....no worry for the clutch upgrade as I have the auto.....
thanks for the feedback on the tune.............
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The autos do see more torque managment but there is still some in the 5 speed.

Most cars are programed differently. But than again few cars including the ones you names see boost as high as the SS with the Upgrade kit. Nor are they FWD.

Boost controlers are fine if you want to play with the car. GM built the SS for the average driver who just wants to get in and drive. They also built it to hold up and not create a warranty nightmare.

The drivability of the SS is very good and it will run fast but also putt around town with no comprimise.

The key if you want to control it yourself is to be smart enough to do so. Most people would trash a car. I see it everyday at work as they do not know how to set up cars properly or deal with them properly.

Everyone wants bolt on performance and not have to do anything more. I heard a guy cry today as he installed a supercharger but did not want to get the car properly tuned to use with the other modified parts.

Today car companies don't make cars fool proof they have to make them idiot proof. Those who are smart enough will figure out the way around things. Those who don't break a lot of parts or have a car that runs like crap.

The bottom line is the Eco Turbo is one of the better small Turbo engines ever built for street use. At this point we have yet to see all that they will do with this engine and Tubo's at GM. The LNF was hindered by the Transaxle not the engine. Note in the Solstice the increase in torque the 5 speed saw to 340 FT LB. With better trannys in the future and better tuning we will see more power.
agree with you on that.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Love this site. Well done.