2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

air filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM

bOOO !!!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM

AS posted elsewhere:

IMHO K&N is a waste on a daily driver. Certainly K&N touts their product as safe, reliable, cost effective, never causes a problem..... and mostly they are correct.

Go Here and read about K&N filters: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....tent&Itemid=76

There are no agendas here and you can make up your own mind.

My $0.02; If you are running a full blown race engine a K&N filter is certainly the way to go. Optimizing flow will help get top HP and Torque. Race engines are typically getting lots of oil changes so the oil issue isn't a problem. No pollution controls means no worries about MAF's etc.

Run a good quality paper filter on the street, change it often and you can be sure your engine will be getting the best care.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by irloyal
AS posted elsewhere:

IMHO K&N is a waste on a daily driver. Certainly K&N touts their product as safe, reliable, cost effective, never causes a problem..... and mostly they are correct.

Go Here and read about K&N filters: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....tent&Itemid=76

There are no agendas here and you can make up your own mind.

My $0.02; If you are running a full blown race engine a K&N filter is certainly the way to go. Optimizing flow will help get top HP and Torque. Race engines are typically getting lots of oil changes so the oil issue isn't a problem. No pollution controls means no worries about MAF's etc.

Run a good quality paper filter on the street, change it often and you can be sure your engine will be getting the best care.
Already replied to that elsewhere comment....
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
If its over oiled, yes it can foul up the MAF. Just make sure the K&N you get isn't oozing with oil (its happened before) and make sure when you clean it and re-oil it to take an easy.

You can also clean a MAF sensor.

By the way K&N sends a little card with your filter that says if a dealer tries to void your warranty due to there filter to call them at the number on the card.
This is the key as usally over oiling is the issue in 98% of the cases.

The key to more HP with KNN is the filter systems. If you change the filter you really do not see much gain. The replacment of the stock intake tube and filter are what make the power.

Factory systems have to quiet the intake noise not only to keep most owners happy but also the Goverment drive by noise regulations. This is they they sealed up the Trans AM scoops in the 70's from the cold air.

By opening up the system a lot can be gained on some cases. Depending how restricted the factory system was will decide how much gain you see. 9-15 HP is common.

I deal with the people from KNN often and if you use their product as it is to be used they will back you up. When the they say oil lightly they mean it.

I have used their filters for 25 years and still have the my first one in service. Never an issue with any of them.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Actually the better airflow, I believe< was more relevant on the older cars, carburated and TB types...the air HAD to do a 90 deg turn to go thru the bores,,the air was quite turbulant coming thru a factory setup....the newer cars have a straight in shot now,,,,no turns from filter to blades...and no fuel to "MIX"....thats why I think you don't see all the gains you once did...evem on the bikes it had to make a hard turn...now you have the cone filters that allow a straighter shot in.....could be why theres not much difference anymore in flow rates between a good paper and a K&N.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Oiled cotton filters have relatively poor filtering efficiency until you get a certain amount of dirt embedded in it. This is what the people who obsessively clean their K&N's don't get.