2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Bolt on turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
RFT

400 WHP?? Did they mention if it comes with any short block components? If the car is DD, or driven fairly frequently I would be concerned about bending the rods. IIRC correctly the factory rods are cast, not forged. If so, the rods will hold for a while and then finally bend under that kind of power.

1.4K is not too bad for that kind of a power gain!! Wish I had a winter car and didn't care about my warranty.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RFT
400 WHP?? Did they mention if it comes with any short block components? If the car is DD, or driven fairly frequently I would be concerned about bending the rods. IIRC correctly the factory rods are cast, not forged. If so, the rods will hold for a while and then finally bend under that kind of power.

1.4K is not too bad for that kind of a power gain!! Wish I had a winter car and didn't care about my warranty.
Someone lied to you, our engine is a very high tech piece, probably one of the most high tech engines GM develops. You don't need to worry about anything till over 500 whp. There has been a few cases of broken piston skirts like 8 out of thousands of tuned cars (probably defective castings).

Unique LNF features[1] include:

a twin-scroll turbocharger
cam-driven high pressure gasoline direct injection fuel system
dual camshaft continuously variable valve timing
sodium-filled stainless steel Inconel exhaust valves
low-friction cast aluminum pistons with oil squirters
forged steel crankshaft
forged steel connecting rods
cast stainless steel exhaust manifold
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM

GM rates the LNF pistons at 300hp though. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a bigger turbo personally. I know there have been several people do it without any problems.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
GM rates the LNF pistons at 300hp though. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a bigger turbo personally. I know there have been several people do it without any problems.
Gotta be willing to pay to play, as you know. With the new tsb it doesn't matter if its 300 hp or 500 if you have an aftermarket tune, even if its mild.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Another update to some questions and answers I had from the guy (Mallard) who's company is actually developing the upgrade:

What I was going to ask you is, what is required for the upgrade, do you have to send your trubo off to have the upgrade done or is this a complete turbo with the flanges already needed to bolt on?
You have to send your turbo to me for the work to be done. When the official announcement is made with results, pricing, my company, etc. I will be able to give more details about the upgrade.
What kind of time frame for turn around if you have to send your turbo in to have the upgrade done?
I expect the turn around time to be about 5 days. I've had a rough time finding good used turbos to use as 'cores.' If I'm able to find any at decent prices that aren't damaged, then I would be able to send out a complete replacement turbo and you would send back your original as the core. This would dramatically cut the amount of time your car would be out of commission...if possible. I could buy new turbo's, but that would drive the price up quite a bit for the 'core charge.'
Have you determined pricing yet for just the turbo upgrade or are you still working out the logisitcs?
I still expecting pricing to be around $1k.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
A little birdie told me a true bolt on turbo upgrade is coming soon (finally something besides the overpriced K04+). They are shooting for 375-400whp on the Cobalt SS/TC & HHR SS with a tune, with a cost between $1k-1.4k (price hasn't been set yet). The prototype tester has had it on since Monday and so far so good. Logs, Dyno results, etc. coming soon. So if you were thinking of buying a K04+ or a turbo kit and wanted 375-400whp, my advice would be to wait. I was going to order a turbo kit at the end of this week but now I'm waiting, 400whp is exactly where I want to be at
How do you maintain traction??? I find my stocker barely able to bite in dry weather. And boy is she squirmy under acceleration with an uneven road. Not like driving a rwd.

JIm
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeda13
How do you maintain traction??? I find my stocker barely able to bite in dry weather. And boy is she squirmy under acceleration with an uneven road. Not like driving a rwd.

JIm

I was gonna say. With mine with the upgrade, in 3rd it feels like it's just about at the limit. First and second are just a matter of deciding if I want traction or not. It's just a press away.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Like my warranty, but would like 400whp more! lol
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 AM

I'd be curious about the first couple of guys to bite the bullet. Add tranny parts, half shafts and other weak links to the bill, cause you know a lot of the stock drivetain parts can't stand the strain[especially a auto trans], then see what the total bill for parts will be.
When you dance,someone has to pay the piper. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it.
Also for a DD, traction on the street will be non-existant with 400 HP. Tire spin means "You lose sucker".
This will be worth watching in the future. "Moon"
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 AM

depends moon. i know it's wrong and illegal,but highway rolls are getting more popular. so going from a third gear roll with good tires should surprise whatever is on the side of you. i'm on the fence with this one. people are blowing trannies with 280-290hp lol.

Quick Reply: Bolt on turbo upgrade