2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Bolt on turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
I was trying to remember who it was that did that K04+ upgrade? (and yes, when I saw their asking price a few months back, it's definitely 'up there' )

Later
Allex

XXL put the K04 on his, but is no longer on the forum, haven't seen him on the cobalt site either. If I remember, he said is came on a little late--not much more at the low rpm's but held nicely all the way past 6000, with a peak at 5500, I think... but he was running all sorts of mods... HPT, Cryo2, MethInjection, custom dual exhaust, dual CAI's, etc.. But the last post I saw from him had him fighting a nasty wiring problem.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
I'd be curious about the first couple of guys to bite the bullet. Add tranny parts, half shafts and other weak links to the bill, cause you know a lot of the stock drivetain parts can't stand the strain[especially a auto trans], then see what the total bill for parts will be.
When you dance,someone has to pay the piper. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it.
Also for a DD, traction on the street will be non-existant with 400 HP. Tire spin means "You lose sucker".
This will be worth watching in the future. "Moon"
Dunno about the auto, but ZZP blew there trans (5 spd around 500whp), but they said that was with slicks at the track and after an entire season of taking it to the track.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 AM

I wonder if companies like Level10 have looked into building a strengthened auto tranny for guys like me who'd like to have that kind of (350-400) power but are limited by the auto's limits...

Later
Allex
Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Jeda13
How do you maintain traction??? I find my stocker barely able to bite in dry weather. And boy is she squirmy under acceleration with an uneven road. Not like driving a rwd.

JIm
Big tires and practice . I don't even drive with the TC on ever unless its raining out. Its all in learning the powerband of your car and knowing how to slip the clutch out for launching from a stand still. I can still spin my big tires 1-3 from a stand still if I high rev it and drop the clutch. But if I'm rolling in 2nd or 3rd and go wot I gert a chirp and go Man I love big sticky tires and summer. In the winter of course I spin more do to the compound in the tires being harder.

I will be one of the first (if not the first HHR SS) to run the turbo if the results come back good
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM

I know someone that's ready to buy it right now, but he doesn't have a hhr. he just got his cobalt and is already winning trophys at the track with a tune gms1, dejon intake, and hahn 3" exhaust. but he also has ordered full boltons for it, just waiting for them to arrive.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
I wonder if companies like Level10 have looked into building a strengthened auto tranny for guys like me who'd like to have that kind of (350-400) power but are limited by the auto's limits...

Later
Allex
For that kind of power; I'd be willing to bite the bullet cost wise to build up my Auto Trans and get better rubber. Even if it destroys my warrenty. However I dont want to destroy my entire HHR by getting the turbo and nothing else.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
GM rates the LNF pistons at 300hp though. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a bigger turbo personally. I know there have been several people do it without any problems.

Does anyone know how these hold up in our cars or in the TC Cobalts?

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...dcategory=6250
Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Someone lied to you, our engine is a very high tech piece, probably one of the most high tech engines GM develops. You don't need to worry about anything till over 500 whp. There has been a few cases of broken piston skirts like 8 out of thousands of tuned cars (probably defective castings).

Unique LNF features[1] include:

a twin-scroll turbocharger
cam-driven high pressure gasoline direct injection fuel system
dual camshaft continuously variable valve timing
sodium-filled stainless steel Inconel exhaust valves
low-friction cast aluminum pistons with oil squirters
forged steel crankshaft
forged steel connecting rods
cast stainless steel exhaust manifold
Wasn't sure about the rods so I stand corrected there. And yes, they have pulled 500, 600, 700 and more HP out of it. But does someone have 10 years, 150,000 real world miles on a car that has made that kind of power?

However, the concern comes in the form of structural breakdown of components occurring as a result of time and stress. It's not just one or the other. My attempt was to caution if the car is driven often, with this much power, parts have a tendency to break faster.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

That kind of power increase will not be friendly to the stock drivetrain if you have any kind of traction at all.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I'm waiting, 400whp is exactly where I want to be at
What about the rest of the drive train? I guess the drive train will up as long as you NEVER step on it.

Quick Reply: Bolt on turbo upgrade