2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Are Cobalt SS and HHR SS Intercoolers the Same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Are Cobalt SS and HHR SS Intercoolers the Same?

Hi,

I am going to buy an MPX Intercooler that is listed for a Cobalt SS TC. I assumed (via pics) that they are the same parts and dimensions for both cars?

Can someone please set me straight?
Thanks!

Joe
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM

wrong forum? Can't believe I can't get an answer :/
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Deceased

Since I had to call MPX on a cold air intake for our Fiat, I asked the folks on their tech line your question.

The answer is no, the intercooler kit for the Cobalt SS will not fit or work on the HHR SS.

The tech rep suggested that you may want to look at the intercooler made by Hahn.

Sorry you had to wait on an answer.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, didn't know about a cobalt intercooler, I have one for a Saab that fits. I can give you some good advice on sway bars, I have owned two of them, but you didn't ask. you might be right about the wrong forum, the guy's over at the SScobalt site probably know. Seems to me it should, I have lots of cobalt parts on mine. But they do have less room up front.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 AM

I honestly dont know why the mpx wouldnt fit. It is almost identical to the hahn and zzp.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM

MPX Cobalt SS TC Intercooler

I bought a used MPX intercooler and asked the same questions. MPX said no fit on HHR SS, some guys on Cobalt/HHR forum said it would work. It does fit......kinda. When you remove the HHR SS facia and stock intercooler, it looks like the two tabs on top of the MPX intercooler will fit perfectly into the slots/holes in the HHR metal bumper. With the intercooler pushed upward and rearward as far as it would go, the intercooler mount tabs were about 3/4" away from the bumper holes. I installed some flat washers to take up this space and tried to mount the front facia. The tabs being too forward kept the facia from mounting properly. I then carefully cut the vertical part of the mounting tabs off flush with the front of the intercooler leaving the horizontal portion still welded to the intercooler. Remounted the intercooler by fabricating metal straps out of perforated metal I had laying about. (like the stuff used for home ductwork). Strapped around both intercooler tanks to the metal bumper. Used some rubber between the straps/intercooler/metal bumper. Facia reinstalled but could not install the black crescent shaped cover that fastens to the bottom edge of the facia. Reason.....the intercooler hangs down just slightly more than the stock intercooler, and hits the facia's bottom rolled lip just enough to cause interference preventing installation of the bottom facia cover. All in all .......it's kinda Mickey Mouse installation right now, but has been working fine. I plan to remove facia and re-engineer the installation. Probably should have just resold the MPX, and gotten another brand that fits properly. But that wouldn't have been as much fun