2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Crazy Steve Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks Rally,

I found a local shop, I'm gonna talk to them today. Apparently they can fab whatever I need and then tune for it for around the same money I was gonna spend just buying a core and other toys. I'm headed toward werks, unless Bill will price match, as his facebook site claims.(HAHN)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Thanks Rally,

I found a local shop, I'm gonna talk to them today. Apparently they can fab whatever I need and then tune for it for around the same money I was gonna spend just buying a core and other toys. I'm headed toward werks, unless Bill will price match, as his facebook site claims.(HAHN)
no problem.

i know for a fact that Werks uses Garrett cores (the best) as where every one else uses Chiwanese cores.

you won't need to be tuned for the IC and as for getting a local fab shop to make the endtanks....... be VERY careful with that. the vendors that make them for our vehicle spend countless hours & $ into R&D to make sure proper flow is there along with pressure testing the welds.

good luck getting Hahn to price match, hard to say if the can. not dissing on Hahn but i wouldn't go with their IC, i've heard a few horror stories about the welds not holding & the endtanks cracking.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

A couple of the intercoolers from some of the name brand companies have cracked, Hahn and Synapse turbo are a few I can think of where people have posted up pictures on cobaltss.net of them cracking at the welds.

I would check out these guys (scroll down to the 08+ Cobalt SS kits) http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...tercooler+Kits

or look at the MPX and ZZP IC's your talking about in your post.

I don't know of anyone with a Cobalt SS or HHR SS running Werks IC's, so I can't comment on those. They look nice and if they are Garrett cores should be very good.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I would check out these guys (scroll down to the 08+ Cobalt SS kits) http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...tercooler+Kits

or look at the MPX and ZZP IC's your talking about in your post.

I don't know of anyone with a Cobalt SS or HHR SS running Werks IC's, so I can't comment on those. They look nice and if they are Garrett cores should be very good.
the issues i have with Treadstone is their 2 piece endtank design..... it's fail.

MPx..... seems nice but has less rows than stock.

ZZP..... 4" thick core, too big for stock little k04. nice otherwise.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

I still have the CSI intercooler but will be getting rid of it after the winter for a WERKS one
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by rallycobalt06
the issues i have with Treadstone is their 2 piece endtank design..... it's fail.

MPx..... seems nice but has less rows than stock.

ZZP..... 4" thick core, too big for stock little k04. nice otherwise.
Do you have proof in form of logs or posts providing what you stated above henders performance on those intercoolers or is this all conjecture?

Because i have not seen one thing posted that those intercoolers you listed are anything other then great intercoolers.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Do you have proof in form of logs or posts providing what you stated above henders performance on those intercoolers or is this all conjecture?

Because i have not seen one thing posted that those intercoolers you listed are anything other then great intercoolers.
i'm not "baller" enough to purchase every intercooler on the market and test each and every one, so sorry i don't have "proof in form of logs" and i'm sure 95% of the cobalt/hhr community doesn't either. that's stuff you go to the vendor for.

but what i said about the MPx & Treadstone...... you can see in pictures.

what i said about the ZZP...... is something that has been said plenty of time throughout the community. is it myth? maybe, but that's what i've heard. i like ZZP, they're good people and i know they make great stuff but a 4" thick core seems too much for the stock k04 (just my opinion, take it or leave it).

the stock IC is 2.8" thick, the Werks is 3.5", the ZZP is 4"..... i honestly don't believe the stock k04 can flow enough air to fully take advantage of such a large IC, so i went with the Werks because i know that it'll be fine for what i'm currently flowing and it will be fine for what i eventually plan to be flowing.

i'm not saying they're not great intercoolers, i'm just pointing out some details about them.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Spent an hour at Knoxville Performance today, and got a bunch of "questions" somewhat answered.

At this point on the 04 a bigger IC will rob some boost. not much but some. I think I'll use these guys for a HP tune in October. Once I have the two other parts I ordered in DP, CO2. I might pass on the IC at this point..... although that money is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

If I can still get the SSA CAI for 250-300 then I'll add that befoe the tune. The filter ends up in the fender?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Spent an hour at Knoxville Performance today, and got a bunch of "questions" somewhat answered.

At this point on the 04 a bigger IC will rob some boost. not much but some. I think I'll use these guys for a HP tune in October. Once I have the two other parts I ordered in DP, CO2. I might pass on the IC at this point..... although that money is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

If I can still get the SSA CAI for 250-300 then I'll add that befoe the tune. The filter ends up in the fender?
no, the SSA CAI ends up behind the headlight.

Mine ended up in the fender .
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

I'm a little slow here but I thought behind the head light is in the fender?? I was thinking of getting the k&n pipe to put on the intake is it better than the stock one ?

Quick Reply: Crazy Steve Intercooler