2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Stage Kit Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM

Ok. I.ve cooled down enough to speak. The labor time is wrong!!! If you guys get charged an hour, good for you. I spent 5 hours doing my own car and atleast 2 of that was on the phone wth techline. Before I go any further, let me say, I'm pleased with the results. Getting 15lb boost instead of 7-8 at 40 degrees. I know that's low but I think the problem lies in the wastegate rod that got adjusted (by accident). Now. the instructions are for the Solstice, with the HHR mentioned. The wiring placement for the new sensors are wrong for the psi sensor in the outlet pipe. They cross the 5Vref and GRD wires. Then the guy at Techline left me on hold for over an hour and came back with nothing but we'll look into it. Finally got the number I needed and got it working after made wire repair. The lower sensor is not easy thing to get to either. Had to remove the lower pipe to fix. When I got the pipe off I found that the new sensor was not mounted properly in the hole. You can't see this when you install it I promice you. If you get a GM upgrade, demand the lower pipe to be removed and create a notch in the mounting to accept the new sensor. I think that that sensor will deffinately blow off when under full boost with more tuning. A major issue. If any one here is installing the kit themselves or a tech is doing it, please check this out and maybe chime in. I will be doing another kit next weekend and plan on bending that guy over for the labor!!! Just kiddin Eric. Maybe. I now know what needs to be done,but others may not. I'm sorry if this seams like a ***** session, but I'm a GM certified master tech in every area and Ifirmly do not believe that an hour is enough. I may have had a bad experience, but I dont think so..
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Good info turbotech, thanks for sharing.

Will be good to hear what your feedback is after doing a couple of them. Hopefully you have better luck next time around.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by rommer
Hmmm, then why does mine say 22 when I'm into it?

FWIW, when I "playing" with the HP Tuner myself I was able to get the boast gage to peak at 25 but the computer didn't know how to deal with it and my AFR was WAY off. Was an interesting experiment though.
i was seeing the same numbers when i first got the hahn. after driving for about a week or so,20 psi became a constant(on hot humid days 22-23). also noticed that with the hahn,when you take it off and put it back on,it pulls 24psi. after a couple of hours it goes back to 20psi.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by turbotech
Ok. I.ve cooled down enough to speak. The labor time is wrong!!! If you guys get charged an hour, good for you. I spent 5 hours doing my own car and atleast 2 of that was on the phone wth techline. Before I go any further, let me say, I'm pleased with the results. Getting 15lb boost instead of 7-8 at 40 degrees. I know that's low but I think the problem lies in the wastegate rod that got adjusted (by accident). Now. the instructions are for the Solstice, with the HHR mentioned. The wiring placement for the new sensors are wrong for the psi sensor in the outlet pipe. They cross the 5Vref and GRD wires. Then the guy at Techline left me on hold for over an hour and came back with nothing but we'll look into it. Finally got the number I needed and got it working after made wire repair. The lower sensor is not easy thing to get to either. Had to remove the lower pipe to fix. When I got the pipe off I found that the new sensor was not mounted properly in the hole. You can't see this when you install it I promice you. If you get a GM upgrade, demand the lower pipe to be removed and create a notch in the mounting to accept the new sensor. I think that that sensor will deffinately blow off when under full boost with more tuning. A major issue. If any one here is installing the kit themselves or a tech is doing it, please check this out and maybe chime in. I will be doing another kit next weekend and plan on bending that guy over for the labor!!! Just kiddin Eric. Maybe. I now know what needs to be done,but others may not. I'm sorry if this seams like a ***** session, but I'm a GM certified master tech in every area and Ifirmly do not believe that an hour is enough. I may have had a bad experience, but I dont think so..
Damn bend me over huh..WOW what a buddy...Maybe it was just your Master(bator) teching,JFWY. Ok see you next weekend for the short-throw shifter install and the GM turbo upgrade....Then to the fast side tuning W/FLACO
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

I don't know what took you so long to do it turbotech I mean I understand the sensors and all but I only waited about 50 minutes from the time I dropped the car at the dealer to the time the guy got me from the waiting room. Hey but at least you got it done
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Interesting Read !
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM

CONGRATS Bart SS!! I called yesterday, and they said it would be a bit before they could get it in. I will wait til after march to do mine. Snow will be gone by then I hope :)

Quick question for all you tuners and turbo guys. Does air density play any role in the computers calibration of max boost allowed?

Everyone says that the boost is different and that this is an issue. I am a pilot, and I can tell you for a fact that air density, even at ground level, can change dramatically with temperature. If there is anything in the computer that would want to restrict boost, because of proper air density levels to maintain correct air/fuel mixture levels, this would be the reason we all see different max boost numbers. This is the reason for difference in boost levels you all are seeing from region to region in the US.

Elevation also plays a role, but quite less. Unless you go from sea level to 5000 feet or even worse 12,000 feet :)

Last edited by HHR 'Black Death'; 12-17-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: forgot to say congrats
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by turbotech
The labor time is wrong!!! If you guys get charged an hour, good for you. I spent 5 hours doing my own car...
This guy was also an hour (Sol)...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...tml#post791307
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
just letting you guys know,20psi is what ALL tuned people are seeing. eric and i dynoed awhile back and we both were seeing 20psi and yes it was hot. i have a hahn and he has adm. not blistering heat,but humid and about 89-90 degrees. i hate to say i told you guys so,but i'm still going to wait and see what happens....
Eric doesn't have the ADM tune. He has a custom tune done by Flaco. I've got the ADM.

i was seeing the same numbers when i first got the hahn. after driving for about a week or so,20 psi became a constant(on hot humid days 22-23). also noticed that with the hahn,when you take it off and put it back on,it pulls 24psi. after a couple of hours it goes back to 20psi.
This is the car attempting to "learn down" back to stock power levels. While the tune prevents it from doing it completely, there is still some learn down. Andy and I discussed this the other day. With that said, it might be helpful to do a fresh flash before a dyno day or a track run.

somewhere awhile ago,i said this tune isn't any different from what everyone is running(adm and hahn). the plus is you get,is the warranty. i'm still not convinced you will see more hp by "stacking" this tune with another tune...
What you said here doesn't make sense. There is no such thing as "stacking" tunes. For those of us who mod our cars regardless of warranty concerns, the tune included with the Stage kit is completely irrelevant. These same proven power levels could have been made on the old OS for cheaper with HPT. In fact, in my mind, GM should have marketed a tune only as Stage 1 and sold it for less with warranty included, without the sensors and the changes to the OS. This stage kit and a more aggressive tune should have been Stage II, available without warranty if necessary.

You will never see the real benefits of the stage kit as it sits if you keep the tune it comes with, because the most important parts of this kit are the changes to the map sensors and the operating system/table scaling. From what I have read so far, it seems that the Stage tune does not even take advantage of those changes, and the car is now begging for an aftermarket massage. A car with the Stage kit now has the capacity to PERMANENTLY boost past 22.5psi and take advantage of the new 3 bar map sensor, with no learn down in the OS back to set power limits. Those characteristics are not part of the tune. The changes are made to the tables themselves to allow higher setpoints within the tune, and removal of the learn down from the system. In other words, it's an expanded range that you're able to use when you tune.

If the new tables still work with HPT, or when they are hacked, the tune that comes with the car is not being "stacked," it's being changed.

Here's an over-simplified illustration of what I'm talking about. On the old setup, there might have been a range of 1-10 available for a tuner to set for a given parameter like boost. It's wasn't possible to use 11, because to the car, 11 didn't exist. Now, with the new sensors and table scaling, the range for that same table might be 1-15. GM probably only used 1-9 to keep it conservative for warranty purposes, and that's why we're seeing a little less than the power levels we see with aggressive custom tunes on the old system. However, if/when changes can be made to the new tune, someone will be able to go in and make that 9 an 11, or a 12, or a 15. You're not stacking, you're editing.

Now, it remains to be seen if more boost will show any really significant gains on stock turbo as it is already out of its efficiency range, but with a bigwheel kit or a GT30R, there will be a world of difference vs. the old OS and sensors.

Also, without the learn down, you will see bigger, permanent gains from breathing mods like your Hahn IC kit and my ADM full exhaust because the ECU will not learn itself down to the tune setpoints. The GM engineer who is posting here explained that part clearly.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

As soon as spring rolls around im getting a turboback or catback exhaust dont know yet and the intercooler kit from Bill.

Quick Reply: GM Stage Kit Installed!!!